Specialized alu single speed

andym999

Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Just a bit of fun with bits I had spare, although it has escalated somewhat...

At the back end of last year, to help get my Proflex up and running, this Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS from 2001 was acquired as a donor bike, with the intention of using bits as needed, to be replaced as the Proflex was made period correct (more details on that thread, see my signature).

Anyway, as I did better than hoped with getting what I needed, and with the Specialized wheels not being the right ones - a 7-speed cassette/hub somehow - pretty much nothing ended up being used. I had the vague idea that it could be used as a single speed, with no idea how, but I knew I wanted to have a go at stripping the frame down and polishing / painting / doing something else with it...

Dis-assembly occurred, and I discovered that 'new' Nitromors isn't a patch on the old stuff, just as everyone says, although a tip from another forum member put me onto SupaDec, which was loads better. That, and a bit of sanding removed all the paint leaving a pretty handsome-looking frame, with a big beefy downtube.

In time I may put a bit of effort into polishing, but having gathered a few bits, and having a nice set of wheels spare (after *finally* getting some nice period-correct hoops for the Proflex) I was keen to get building…

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20230525_125313432.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230525_125313432.MP.jpg
    842.1 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20231122_132412430.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231122_132412430.MP.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 21
Keeping the frame as a raw finish for now, I’m going with black parts with flashes of yellow. This will probably look better when the frame is properly polished (think 90’s Zaskars with the yellow graphics).

Forks are old Manitou Magnums, originally bought here yonks ago for my Marin, but then superseded by Judys. They’ve since been refreshed with new elastomers and the bare alloy bits should complement the frame nicely. Although they could also do with a polish.

The wheels are DT Swiss rims (with a braking surface) on recent-ish XT disc-brake hubs, so the best of both worlds. I bought these years back when rebuilding my wife’s MTB, but that hasn’t been used for ages now so they were liberated, first for the Proflex, now this where they’ll fit with the black theme. Tyres are a mismatched set of Contis.

A second-hand single-speed kit was bought from the ’Bay a while back, a new headset, then the yellow Control Tech stem, Kore bars, Deore levers all from fellow Retrobikers here. A couple of quid on spacers meant I could retain the Specialized’s chainset and big ring. I have two rear sprockets to choose from, as well as the middle ring, should the gearing need adjusting.

Here is as she stands right now, after a couple hours of bolting everything together. Happily it all went pretty smoothly, once the replaceable dropout was located and correctly attached for the chain tensioner. Chain line and tension both look pretty good.

Just yellow V-brakes to add and cable up, yellow grips to install too. And when they arrive in the post a more colour scheme suited seat post and saddle will finish the look.

To do list is get some yellow pedals, and lots of polishing. Lots…

Attachments

• PXL_20231122_142404853.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231122_142404853.MP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20231122_144213569.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231122_144213569.MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20231122_144230973.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231122_144230973.MP.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20231122_144209342.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231122_144209342.MP.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 39
Build complete - just the polishing to do...

Some chainline issues required a new derailleur hanger as well as the little extra loop from the tensioner removing as it wouldn’t stay still. Result is a nice straight line.

Set up and cabling of brakes was nice and easy too, completing a comfortable and fun local hack ride.

Plan is to use it then disassemble for polishing / finishing, most likely over spring/summer. Also on the lookout for some yellow pedals, and some grips that are actually yellow to match (not this weird mustardy colour…)

PXL_20231212_155126789.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231212_155156380.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231212_155156380.MP.jpg
    975.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20231212_155045373.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231212_155045373.MP.jpg
    809.6 KB · Views: 17
I like that! Normally I would frown against taking original paint of a bike but the paint jobs Specialized were doing this era (and most other manufacturers for that matter) were bleeding awful.

Would be cool if you could get some decals made up in a matching yellow

Nice! Looks awesome with the raw frame and matching Manitou forks - really cool build. You've got me considering a single speed setup now!

Loving it, everyone should have one or several of these.

My instinct (if it's of any use / value) is that you may ultimately find it more usable with gearing around 32-17, unless super human of course. At least for a decent day out including some trails and little hills. To me, the big chain ring you have on there, feels more like a half hour flat city commute, and if that was the application then you'd arguably be considering tour tyres and a rigid fork.

My instinct (if it's of any use / value) is that you may ultimately find it more usable with gearing around 32-17, unless super human of course
Having taken it around the block a few times to test the brakes I suspect you're right, and thanks for the heads up. I think it's the 16t on the back (I also have a 14) and the front can be swapped for a 32 easily for off-road use. I just like the look of the big tyres. It will probably get more use in 'road/commute' mode...

Nice! Looks awesome with the raw frame and matching Manitou forks - really cool build. You've got me considering a single speed setup now!
Oh no, you should stick to 1x with yours. If I get hold of a suitable frame (Kona a desired option) I'd like to do a 1x restomod.

Some random future thoughts:

A proper 'commuter' mode would have a big chunky front rack/basket type arrangement bolted to the fork to carry the milk when I need to get some from Budgens. Wouldn't work with the Manitous tho...

Borrow a Dremmel to remove the gear cable guides? Possibly a bit extreme...

A loud yellow Specialized decal on the downtube might look cool (as per suggestion above), I also looked at some frame sticker kits which would make it a bit more interesting...

Back