Sophie Brookes (Jason Mcroy) Salsa ala Carte Jelly Bean

What did they use to do with it ?
God knows! I don't recall them selling second hand bikes, they certainly didn't sell second hand clothing/helmets, and this was pre-ebay - so most of the stuff, clothing at least, must have gone in the bin šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

It's insane compared with today. In theory, some would have gone back to the manufacturer, as part of a long term (or short term given the maturity of the sport) test, with engineers analysing wear and tear, to improve design and durability.

Some of it would have been given away to employees or affiliates.

But I suspect much of it went in the bin or to the back of the workshop because it was "old" and not the new shiny thing every bike rider needed to have that year.

It's insane compared with today. In theory, some would have gone back to the manufacturer, as part of a long term (or short term given the maturity of the sport) test, with engineers analysing wear and tear, to improve design and durability.

Some of it would have been given away to employees or affiliates.

But I suspect much of it went in the bin or to the back of the workshop because it was "old" and not the new shiny thing every bike rider needed to have that year.
Can you believe Martyn Ashton recently had to buy his own signature edition bike off eBay as he was never given one šŸ™ˆ

Yep that was quite common practise! I had to give back almost all my Specialized kit and bikes in the years I was sponsored by a shop primarily selling Specialized gear. That included most of the used clothing! šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø :mad:šŸ¤¢
Same here for the most part. Sometimes had to send back everything except clothing, sometimes could keep, and sometimes had the option to buy at a heavy discount. Not sure what happened to some of it as the bikes (road excepting) were generally thrashed.

And that's why you always change your sponsors at the end of the season, as well as your address!

Reactions: Rog
So I have a memory that I wanted to buy the Sophie Brookes Salsa in the mid nineties. It would have been advertised in MBUK (or similar), and it was about Ā£800. I hummed and harred about it as Iā€™m 6ā€™2ā€ and it was a 16.5ā€ bike, and I didnā€™t have loads of cash to just buy it as a souvenir.

Does anyone else recall this being advertised? Pretty sure I didnā€™t imagine it, but sounds far fetched looking back from 2023!

Latest posts

Back