SOLD : Rocky Mountain Reynolds 853 Tourer Sherpa 30

Adam Ef

Dirt Disciple
Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (Reynolds Steel 853 Tourer)
£580
55cm frame (equivalent approx 57cm or 58cm)
Located in Bristol. Collection only. Viewing recommended.

Lovely bike that is amazingly comfortable to ride due it's slightly upright geometry, which allows for comfortable riding on the drops and pleasantly upright riding on the tops. Solid as anything Reynolds 853 tubing with hand-built wheels (By RM bikes wheel builders, they sign them too) with Deore hubs onto Mavic A319 heavy duty rims. Deore LX rear Mech, Tiagra front mech, and Easton / FSA parts, Tiagra 9 speed shifters / levers, really comfortable ergo drop bars . .. I could go on with the info but you can find more detail at the Rocky Mountain website http://www.bikes.com

Have a look at the glowing review from someone who has used one for some serious touring http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?message_id=162747
although the spec on his does differ from the one I'm selling (no spoke holder on the stay or chain hanger etc on mine) it's essentially the same solid bike.

As far as I am aware it's a 2007 model although when I got it (after one previous owner) it was not showing anything like the signs of use or wear you'd expect for a bike a couple of years old. I checked the drive train and the chain showed no signs of wear and the rims braking surfaces were almost like new. It had been used enough to have the forks bent though. I'm guessing a prang and then a long time spent in storage. So I swapped those out for a pair of brand new Surly Long Haul Trucker forks and gave the whole bike a good inspection for any other damage that would go along with anything that would cause bent forks, but found nothing.

I've since ridden it on just a handful of long-ish day trips but am not getting the use out of it to justify keeping it. I had ideas I'd be off touring on it, but with a young family it's very unlikely in the next few years, so a shame to keep it stored and underused. So sadly I'm letting it go.

It's a 55cm frame (as it says on the sticker) although from what I remember that equates to more like a 57cm or 58 cm in real terms. The big head tube due to the slope in the geometry makes it look much bigger! I'm just over 6ft and it fitted me fine, although I wouldn't have wanted it to be any bigger. So I'd say it would suit someone 6ft and up to a few inches over that. You can see the saddle height in the pics as it is set for me.

The extras I've fitted to it include:
* Brand New SKS Cromoplastic Mudguards
* Tektro Cross Top levers
* New Cartridge brake pad holders with Salmon Kool Stop pads

NOT included in the sale (but in the pictures below) are the Brooks saddle, Pannier bag, bottles, helmet, Bottle cages, pannier rack. I can find another saddle to go on it if needed.

Condition is good, with a few of the usual cosmetic scuffs and nicks as is expected, but overall it's really clean and tidy. The main things that have stood out to me are a few nicks on the bar tape (easily replaceable anyway), slight scrapes on the RH shifter / lever (as you get from leaning it against a wall) and slight scuffs on the down-tube.

I'm looking for £580 and am fairly firm on that as I'm trying to get back what I put into it. As far as I know these are about £1200 new, plus they have to be shipped from Canada.

It'd be collection from Bristol and I'd prefer viewing before buying. Any questions please PM.

Couple of pics below. I can try and get some more detailed shots together if anyone wants and if daylight appears again anytime soon.

Thanks, Adam

6518088979_c41669c704_z.jpg

6518088633_eae21d25e2_z.jpg

As requested, I'm going to try and get a few more detailed photos and I'll add them as soon as I get the chance. Might be Sunday before I get the chance though.

A few more close up photos to try and show a few of the scuffs, all purely cosmetic.

PIctured but NOT included in sale are the Brooks Saddle, the Pannier Rack, Cateye Computer, Bottle cages.

The added upgrades of mudguards, cross-top levers, Salmon brake pads and cartridge holders ARE included.

Rather than post loads of photos here I've created a Flickr set so you can view them at a large resolution to get more detail.

Slideshow can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewntothes ... 5715/show/

Many thanks,

Adam

Back