*SOLD*: Custom built Fuquay frame & Pace forks- very rare!

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've had this frame for a few years now - I bought it from fellow forum member CorduroyBoy. I managed to get the email address of the chap he bought it from who was the original buyer and who gave me the following details:

"I remember it as being Columbus tubing: Columbus did do a range of tubing for Ritchey around that time, so Greg might have not bothered with whether it was rebranded as such. It replaced a RM Altitude steel 20.5" which had my 6'6" frame tipped right over the handlebars (this was back in the day when XC forks had 2" of travel). As you can imagine, It was a custom build. The wishbone design was the same as my Altitude so as far as I was concerned that was cool. Greg said to me that he side-mounted the cable guides, and asked whether that was an issue - I said no. I was running a pair of huge Specialized rear tyres at the time and asked for a spec that would make sure they wouldn't clog in the deepest mud - they never did! I think I got delivery of it in late 96 or early 97."

Dimensions: 23" c-c top tube, 21.5" c-c seat tube, 8.5" (!!!) head tube. It's a frame for a big person!

This is a rare opportunity to buy a frame from a frame maker who by my research only made 800 or so frames. He was an American air force technician who was based in the UK and took up frame building in the 80s and 90s before then giving it up and returning to the States. If you search around the forum here there are a few interesting threads about him and a handful of bikes in ownership by forum members. Be one of that select group!

The good: frame is solid with no structural rust, it comes with a working set of Pace RC35 MXCD forks which were the only ones I could get to fit and that was with a custom made 320mm steerer!

The not so good: the main issue is the seat post is stuck. This isn't an issue if you have a 35" inside leg like me - you're good to go! However will need extracting if not. There are a few rust worms and patches of missing paint. I like to call it patina, it isn't structural anyway! The headset will need replacing, it works but is notchy. There is a small (3mm) hole in the head tube near the top. This was deliberately added under the ownership of the original owner, this is what he told me: "The grease nipple is a story - after a very wet and muddy weekend in mid-Wales I noticed that there felt like there was a bit of grit and some play in the headset. I took it in to the - rather eccentric - bike mechanic I used where he promptly diagnosed insufficient lubrication (I was still using a quill stem, which apparently doesn't stay sealed very well when planted in deep bog!) and we agreed the headset could do with replacement. When I picked it up he had fitted the grease nipple without asking me - when I looked on aghast, he proudly said that I would have no more problems with insufficient headset lubrication! Too right!!!" It is covered by the headset cup anyway.

So there you have it warts and all. I'm asking £150 for the lot inc. postage within UK. I can post abroad but contact me for price BEFORE purchase so no nasty surprises! First with money gets! Paypal or direct bank transfer accepted, it will be sent upon receipt of funds.

Click on image for larger version.

Here are a couple of incarnations:

Re: FOR SALE: Custom built Fuquay frame & Pace forks- very rare!

Very nice
Not buying it tho

aaahhhhh man!!! very very tempted..........

Re:

Looks like a bargain to me!
What is the tubing? Is it Ritchey or Columbus? If it's Ritchey it's probably Dedacciai.
My size too... :roll:

Re:

If you've still got the Gumbo forks (I spied some in the last pic) and would consider splitting I'd definitely want dibs. Please let me know if you are interested. H

Re:

Hi, sorry, frame provisionally sold. The forks were actually Saracen believe it or not, and I no longer have them either, sorry!

Are the forks gone too?

Back