Snowcat rims

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
Just received this wheelset from Alaska...
snowcats.jpg

I fell in love with the look of them after seeing this bike posted in an unconnected thread on here...
Punisher.jpg
I'm still hunting for an example of that amazing frame but at least the wheels are secured. It took a lot of digging to identify those rims from that one picture and some serious haggling to get the wheels for a reasonable price. They have a lot of life left in them, it looks like they may have done as little as a couple of hundred miles.

Can't find too much info out there about them, they are 44 Magnum's (44mm) and according to a post from some long dead forum they were designed primarily for 2.5'' tyres, although the seller told me these were fitted with 1.95's previously and they looked great and rode perfectly well, I'll be going for 2.25's.

These were very early proto-fat bike rims, based on a design that was originally made by joining pairs of narrower rims together, popular with riders who crossed a lot of snow and sand so I'm thinking they would make for a great beach cruiser type build, although as the bike above demonstrates they could be used for simple trail riding too. I like that they are wide without being slapstick comedy wide, I also like that they can seat 'normal' width tyres, but above all I love just how damn cool they look with that clean box section profile.

If anyone knows more about these rims please share your knowledge, also any tips you may have in regards to best tyres to go for and any impact wide rims may have on canti's would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
tried to get some after seeing Alex Punisher,
(never did:) )congrats...
That Punisher is my all time favourite bike, I know there are more desirable and valuable bikes out there and I love many of those too, but for me it just resonates, everything about it, it calls out to me and I'm on the hunt for one - if you ever stumble across an 18-19'' example that is going spare please let me know.

For now I'm going to be using a Cannondale M3.0, I chose it because it has very similar proportions and the wheels/tyres fit very comfortably. Of course it has plenty of differences, most obviously being aluminium rather than steel, but it'll do until a Punisher comes along.

This will be the first time I ever based a build around the wheels and had a placeholder frameset 😁

I grabbed these NOS 2.25 Trailbears for a very nice price, I'll give them the oven treatment to re-homogenise the molecules.
P2260100.JPG P2260102.JPG

Back