Smart TVs and stuff

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I think I may embrace modernity and purchase a smart TV...but I have also noticed wireless adaptors. What are they all about. Which TV would you recommend. Can I convert my current Panasonic viera tx-L26X20B?

i don't really see what the appeal of smart tv's, but then maybe we here in OZ don't get anything much to be of benifit.

The only benefit for me is being able to watch films (via Love film) without waiting for the disc to arrive. I watch a lit of films!

I've only just moved into the 21st century, the first non hand me down TV I've ever owned since leaving home (38 yearsa) :facepalm: but it's just a basic flat screen Toshiba, the best feature about it is I can actually move it for dusting instead of needing to call in several burly blokes to help :D

As you can tell I don't watch a load of films and BT Vision is more than enough for me :D

Alison

Alison":18lal3yf said:
I've only just moved into the 21st century, the first non hand me down TV I've ever owned since leaving home (38 yearsa) :facepalm: but it's just a basic flat screen Toshiba, the best feature about it is I can actually move it for dusting instead of needing to call in several burly blokes to help :D

As you can tell I don't watch a load of films and BT Vision is more than enough for me :D

Alison

Don't miss the burly bloke action though Alison

Much of the true benefit would be things like catch-up TV, and other streaming video (films and such), natively on the device. Otherwise it's like going back a few years, when many TVs didn't have freeview tuners, then new ones came with them built-in.

For some, DLNA capabilities are quite a plus.

As to the apps - well they're always going to be a little bit fiddly or inferior to using them on another platform more suited. I often find, with things like iPlayer or ITV player that programmes that won't show up in a search on a device (smart TV or networked device connected with the apps on), show up when I access iPlayer / ITV player via the normal website on a computer browser.

Not sure I can get behind them, yet, as some kind of convergence thing, though - browser, games - surely people interested in those things will choose better options. Making them more ameniable to be used for media purposes (so catch-up, streaming, youtube, DLNA) all makes sense. But like smart watches, some of it doesn't make sense - trying to foist convergence on something for a poorer experience, seems flawed, really.

Re:

I would suggest spending the dosh on a decent plasma, now getting thin on the ground and set to get thinner, and convert it to a 'smart' tv using an external box. We acquired a Samsung TV with the much lauded Smart Hub. It works well enough, especially using a wireless keyboard and mouse, but it would never replace another device such as a pc, laptop, tablet or phablet for general net use.

I can see things changing in a couple of years though, the latest models have much snappier UIs, and should soon be providing as much processing power as most people require, especially those used to the limitations of ANDROID and such.

Until then, still generally a compromise too far unless you have low expectations.

Back