Shimano 600 Freewheel 14t to 18t?? Why??

Mr Weirdo

Retro Guru
Hello

Still learning...

Q. Why would you use a freewheel that has a range of only 14t to 18t (6 speed) please?

Thank you

Thanks again. I have 53t and 30 something on my crankset and was offered the 14t to 18t freewheel. I haven't cycled for over 6 months now. Worth a go or too much like hard work?

Thanks again. I have 53t and 30 something on my crankset and was offered the 14t to 18t freewheel. I haven't cycled for over 6 months now. Worth a go or too much like hard work?
I think you'll be fine on the small ring and just build your fitness. I have 14-28 on my 5 and 6 speed bikes usually 52/42 or 52/40 which gives a fairly good range.

53/39 at the front i guess, and it's more likely to be 13-18, that was a stock straight through 6 speed freewheel BITD

That's what i used to use for flat time trials 35 years ago.

Thanks Mattr, just checked my crankset and the chain rings are 47 & 42, must of been assuming. The bicycle was used for cyclo cross and I have stripped it down.

Unless you live in a pan flat area, I wouldn't have an 18 as the biggest cog, especially as we're all getting older. I'd advise a 25 as the absolute minimum if you're sticking with a 42 inner ring. It really depends where you're riding

Latest posts

Back