Scott Unishock servicing

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
What an arse these are, I bought them as they look pretty. I have the carbon version with CNC seperate brace.
I had them for a few years and keep going back to them.
I now, eventually have both lower legs off.

1st leg was reasonably easy, the bolt snapped so I could tap it off.

The second, the bolt is stuck in the rod. Fine, except that means the bolt and rod spin together, which wouldn't be a problem for other forks, except here you only have one way in. The bolt.

Eventually, after drilling, hammers, Dremel, more drilling, better drill bits.., I manage to drill enough to break the bolt apart.
Having to jig up various ways to try to pull the fork apart to create enough friction on the elastomer push part and the end stop somewhere inside was always fun while trying to drill and not damage other parts of the forkm

Anyway that eventually, after a few years and various attempts going back to it, was today :)
I'm happy.

so I undo the stanchions end cap with the rod in it, easy enough and the easy side,
now to the bugger of a side,
yep still a bugger, can't undo it, even with a decent peg pin and lots of force, the other side only just went, this is stuck.
So it's been, soaked, tapped, soaked, attempts..
and now is sat in a batch of propanone* hoping to loose whatever it is that sticking it there.
Oh and a nice butanol mix cleans the black goo off easily.

so see you in a few more years when I eventually get this end stop cover off.

Joy, then to see what to do about elastomers/springs and bushings.

Still they just look so nice.

*all I have enough of handy

I've used a hair dryer to heat the legs of those forks before. I'm guessing the elastomer has turned to mush and goo'd everything up

MCU that I have taken out so far, seems to be quite fine (dead, but whole)
I believe the black goo on these is the type of grease they used that has gone thick, tacky and turned to almost hard plastic goo that sticks to everything.
Heatgun it will be as the acetone (to try and dissolve any threadlock) and WD40 (all I have to penetrate) is not getting in to the tight gap, I'm also assuming the fine white powder between the end cap and leg is anti seize <cough>
Unfortunately I don't have enough Butanol to dissolve the black goo easily.

Thanks for the idea.

I think I'll be more happy and fulfilled getting these apart and cleaned than actually rebuilding them

Back