Schwinn Paramount 60th Anniversary Maintenance and Some No Bueno

MuchAlohaNui

Senior Retro Guru
This has been a looooooooooong time coming. Maybe seven or eight years. For whatever reason, life and all that, maintenance on this bike got forgotten even though it's a regular. Likely laziness in there too. With the famalam out of the house today I decided to lock myself inside and rebuild the hubs and tackle a few other minor things like a new derailleur cable, adjustment, brake alignment and pad alignment and just give this bike a look over and a little bit of cleaning (but not too nuts).

Everything was dandy until I pulled the drive side cone out of the freewheel. Hard to tell in the photo, but there is some wear and ever so slight pitting :confused: . No good...no good. I thought that their was a bit of grime in there but no, there is damage. So, with that I'll order all new bearings front and rear + the cone and do the wheels over again. On the plus side all the inner races look and feel fantastic, so not all is shot. If you are familiar with Dura Ace 7700 rear hubs and know the part number of the cone in the photo, please let me know!

Also for those of you who are curious:
1998 Schwinn Paramount 60th Anniversary
- hand made by Match Cycles (Tim Isaac, owner. Builders Curt Goodrich, Kirk Pacenti, Steve Hampsten, Mark Bulgier, Brian McCarthy, Rick Ghneme, Alistair Spence, Martin Tweedy and Dan Swanson.)
- paint (I believe) done by Waterford
- lugged steel frame and fork
- Reynolds 853 tubes
- only sold as a frame and fork
- only 750 made from 1998 to 2000
- Serial number: 92
- a Ti version was made by Serotta for Schwinn during the same time period
- catalog scan shows year 2000, but production started in 1998 to coincide with the 1938 Paramount

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 20.06.55.png 3O1F4608.JPG 3O1F4610.JPG 3O1F4611.JPG 3O1F4617.JPG 3O1F4619.JPG 3O1F4620.JPG 3O1F4614.JPG 3O1F4622.JPG

Hi, nice bike!
After a long time of off and on work I finally finished building up a 60th anniversary Paramount frame with old Dura Ace 7400 components from a bike that was wrecked in a crash with a car. All done only to discover the seat post bolt is missing. Arrrggghhh!!! Would you mind removing your bolt and posting a picture or two of it? And any idea of the thread dia/pitch on it? Thanks much.

Back