Royce bottom bracket tool

some gentle heat to the outside BB shell will help alot, even a hair dryer. i do have aroyce BB tool if you have not found one

Thanks for all the tips folks…..i end up gripping the drive housing threads in a vice, sufficiently to rotate the frame……bottom bracket removed and frame unscathed, which is more than can be said for the bracket 😢 but boy oh boy is the bracket light compared to a Shimano unit, I’m assumed it’s a Ti shaft in the Royce?

There might be a karma post on here for it later……amazed at the wide 130mm spindle width too!!! I’m sure that can’t have been necessary, even on a triple??

If you’re keen to keep the BB running then contact Royce as they are still going and they might have some spare cups to sell you: http://www.royceuk.co.uk/ContactUs.html

Great you got it out of the frame without damaging the frame, although gripping the cup by the thread in a vice might have written off the cup threads… Are the cups worn? If they aren’t you might be able to rescue the threads with some small files and using the lockring to check fit

That’s a good call @27motorhead.
I’m not sure much is salvagable to be honest, but certainly I message to royce is worth it……for all those old enough and have watched the only fools and horses episode, it’s at the risk of becoming “triggers broom”…lol

That’s a good call @27motorhead.
I’m not sure much is salvagable to be honest, but certainly I message to royce is worth it……for all those old enough and have watched the only fools and horses episode, it’s at the risk of becoming “triggers broom”…lol
Just realised I was talking rubbish above as the Royce has sealed bearings! 🤪

So if you can repair the cup thread (I have no idea how much damage the vice inflicted!) and the bearings run smooth with no play, then you have a perfectly good BB. Just remember to apply grease/antiseize before you refit the cups!!!

If the bearings are shot, then that's OK, they are an expendable item on any part... so not quite Trigger's broom! 🤣🤣🤣

Back