Rockshox Judy XL

Bombardier

Retro Newbie
Just bought a pair of vintage 1998 Rockshox XL for my Cannondale Super XL. Although the XL’s are in superb condition, the springs are too soft for me. Does anyone know where I might acquire stronger springs and a better damper cartridge? What springs/damper from later models would fit? I’ve had this bike since 2000, and kept it going as things fell apart, or wore out. It was fitted with RST Hi 5’s in 1999, and they lasted all this time. Not bad, considering the bad reputation! :)

Just bought a pair of vintage 1998 Rockshox XL for my Cannondale Super XL. Although the XL’s are in superb condition, the springs are too soft for me. Does anyone know where I might acquire stronger springs and a better damper cartridge? What springs/damper from later models would fit? I’ve had this bike since 2000, and kept it going as things fell apart, or wore out. It was fitted with RST Hi 5’s in 1999, and they lasted all this time. Not bad, considering the bad reputation! :)
If you look at the bottom of the page in the similar threads section. The very top post is kokies aka SRP on eBay. He sells springs,dampers maybe, and much much more. Contact him.

Will be interested to see how you get on,particularly regarding the damper.
I've had 3 pairs of Long travel,triple clamp (XL/XLC) Judy's ,all with leaking dampers.All the non-serviceable type.I believe some are serviceable with new seal kits available.
Have managed a fix,drilled a 2mm hole in the plastic top of the damper and used a syringe to inject fresh oil.Then screwed a tiny screw (PC case) into the hole with some loctite to seal.
Tried with regular weight oil but damping was still a bit soft (possibly worn internally).Lasted a while but leaked and lost the damping in the end.
So,for the second attempt, I heated up some 10w40 engine oil and lithium grease and injected that.Tried not to fill it full to the brim,leaving some air space in there so it wouldn't lock solid.All total guesswork of course.But the damping feels good enough.
First attempt lasted a few weeks.Still to be ridden with the thicker grease/oil mix,just finishing the bike off.I'm hoping the thicker 'fluid' will be less likely to leak out of the top seal,as happened previously.
It was worth a try as the damper was knackered,and the bike won't be getting a lot of use,might be enough to keep it going.They don't half pogo with no damping!

Will be interested to see how you get on,particularly regarding the damper.
I've had 3 pairs of Long travel,triple clamp (XL/XLC) Judy's ,all with leaking dampers.All the non-serviceable type.I believe some are serviceable with new seal kits available.
Have managed a fix,drilled a 2mm hole in the plastic top of the damper and used a syringe to inject fresh oil.Then screwed a tiny screw (PC case) into the hole with some loctite to seal.
Tried with regular weight oil but damping was still a bit soft (possibly worn internally).Lasted a while but leaked and lost the damping in the end.
So,for the second attempt, I heated up some 10w40 engine oil and lithium grease and injected that.Tried not to fill it full to the brim,leaving some air space in there so it wouldn't lock solid.All total guesswork of course.But the damping feels good enough.
First attempt lasted a few weeks.Still to be ridden with the thicker grease/oil mix,just finishing the bike off.I'm hoping the thicker 'fluid' will be less likely to leak out of the top seal,as happened previously.
It was worth a try as the damper was knackered,and the bike won't be getting a lot of use,might be enough to keep it going.They don't half pogo with no damping!

Hi mate,
I read about a guy who some years ago was downhill racing on a very wet day, when his damper blew on his XL’s. He then went to a Rockshox repair tent and they fitted the hydracoil damper, which made him a happy bunny as the upgrade improved the XL’s performance and reliability.
Otherwise, I inspected my primary and secondary springs today, only to find that they are both yellow, which I gather is pogo forks for a heavier rider!
Cheers!

Dave

Interesting.I did wonder if anything else would fit.It's actually my mate's bike,would like to find a longer-term solution.
A couple of years ago I found a guy in the States with a complete NOS long travel kit,including damper,springs etc.Was over the moon,exactly what I needed,never seen one before or since.Was around £60,thought that was pretty fair considering.Unfortunately was working away when it arrived,courier just left it propped up against the front door for all to see.Wasn't there when I returned. 🤬 😭😂
Some scumbag lifted something that probably ended up in the bin.

Back