Rock Shox SID SL 2000 locked out?

mezzanine

Retro Guru
Picked up these lovely forks. Only issue is they feel locked out? I dare not push any harder but there's no movement. Just looked up the owners manual and there's a section about being extremely stiff in the 80mm travel setting if the neutral shaft is in the wrong position. Whats the neutral shaft and is that easy to adjust? Never had a fork that felt locked out like this as I'm sure there's no lock-out on these is there?

First pair of SID forks no newbie, see picture of said forks

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 817
I'd highly recommend you do a lower service on those & then try and diagnose the issue. I had a pair of black Sid Dual Air's that I removed from a bike I parted out, the previous owner had stated that they worked rather poorly. They did in fact not work well. Very stiff, slow down & up.

After about a year of having them around the garage I decided to do a lowers service for fun. After that the forks worked perfectly, no internal wear either.

I think over time the lubrication dries out & gets tacky. Had a similar issue happen to a friends newer 2011 Fox 32. The stock oil had turned sticky on the stanchions & they went back to perfect after a quick service.

Re:

Have you let the air out?

I've worked on a fair few rs forks and the only time forks don't move at all is usually down to a few issues:

- corrosion/bonding of uppers to bushings
- damper is blocked so fluid can't move
- fluid in the lower leg preventing travel
- broken internals I.e lockout spring not seated so stuck locked.

As above, a lower leg service is likely to identify and solve the issue.

Not sure what the neutral shaft is. I can only think it might refer to the dummy shaft found in forks that had an oil damper in one side and nothing damping the other due to spring internals though sids are air. Maybe it is a reference to the non damper side shaft?

Re: Re:

ishaw":2zam0d41 said:
Have you let the air out?

I've worked on a fair few rs forks and the only time forks don't move at all is usually down to a few issues:

- corrosion/bonding of uppers to bushings
- damper is blocked so fluid can't move
- broken internals I.e lockout spring not seated so stuck locked.

As above, a lower leg service is likely to identify and solve the issue.

Not sure what the neutral shaft is. I can only think it might refer to the dummy shaft found in forks that had an oil damper in one side and nothing damping the other due to spring internals though sids are air. Maybe it is a reference to the non damper side shaft?

A damper leak will cause this and basically hydrolock the fork, had this before on my old Recon SL forks, nightmare scenario partial soft travel and then solid lock at about 50% travel, couldn't even lock them out as the lockout relies on the damper being full of oil and 50% of it was in the lower leg.

No update I'm afraid. I'll be getting them serviced professionally at some point but as no plans to build a bike up in the near future with this fork it might be a while. Need to find some brake bosses as well as most likely it will run with v-brakes

Back