Roberts DOGSBOLX SE

Re:

I may be wrong (it has been known) but I thought that the whole ethos of the “SE” project was to create a light enough DB at a reasonable price by eschewing the group set mentality and mixing and matching components and that it included some eclectic good value for money components to achieve that. I think I’m right in saying that there were no differences in the frame, but that being fully custom anyway, the frame was to the customers spec according to Their ride requirements anyway.

Also the paint job was the traditional black/white but with the black replaced by mid-metallic green

Happy to be corrected by anyone who knows more. I’ve got a copy of MBI that features it.

Re:

It was a light tube set overall (where it was rider appropriate to do so) and the fork legs and crown were a completely different grade to the standard DB fork. The one featured was a pre-production and the actual official paint colour they 'sold' was a metallic silver base with metallic blue decals which is what mine started out as.

My fork is also unique in that it is a "Friday Afternoon" Fork in that it is missing a digit from it's serial number. All this stuff is confirm by Geoff who was the one who built the SE Frames.

Re:

I keep coming back to this, can you confirm the c to c measurement for me, I thought I still had it written down from years ago, but cant find it, :oops:

And what made you choose the slightly later decal instead of the WCS head badge style, (not that this matters at all).

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":2yv7gl9b said:
I may be wrong (it has been known) but I thought that the whole ethos of the “SE” project was to create a light enough DB at a reasonable price by eschewing the group set mentality and mixing and matching components and that it included some eclectic good value for money components to achieve that. I think I’m right in saying that there were no differences in the frame, but that being fully custom anyway, the frame was to the customers spec according to Their ride requirements anyway.

Also the paint job was the traditional black/white but with the black replaced by mid-metallic green

Happy to be corrected by anyone who knows more. I’ve got a copy of MBI that features it.

The SE certainly stood for the assembly project you mention, or from my understanding of the DB when talking to Chas and Winston.

The Tubing choice for this model year whilst standard for Roberts and this Model year, was by no means Standard by any rule of measure when compared to other marques. No need to go into the tubing Fabrication, its detailed on so many threads by now, and you have one... :cool:

FWIW, Roberts continued to fabricate this model right up until end, achieving actual completed orders of around 12 per year. Every year. With changes in tubing taking place as and when tubing supply was superseded , this included dropout options/designs- Paragon etc, angles etc followed the times too as suspension developed.

Still the legend lives on with Winston,...https://www.varonha.co.uk/

sinnerman":1i0vy9zd said:
I keep coming back to this, can you confirm the c to c measurement for me, I thought I still had it written down from years ago, but cant find it, :oops:

And what made you choose the slightly later decal instead of the WCS head badge style, (not that this matters at all).

How do you mean by c to c?

Decal wasn't a deliberate choice, is what Geoff had laying around. Pretty sure is what was on there before.

AlexTemper":10ru10ye said:
sinnerman":10ru10ye said:

How do you mean by c to c?

Decal wasn't a deliberate choice, is what Geoff had laying around. Pretty sure is what was on there before.

Sorry my bad, center of bb to center of top tube. :oops:

nah when father showed it to me it had the WCS decal set, I've been hunting the pics for you to help, but i think they are on my old laptop saved somewhere.

I know what you mean though, Chas gave me what he had left when we needed a 753 decal for the WS frame they had kicking about for years, they used to use it for Paintwork ideas/display, as he gave it to me and he had been re-finished so many times, I couldn't help but stick it on, it still wears it with pride... :oops:

your forkblades are Reynolds 753. :cool:

Just pulled a copy of the Oct 93 MBi out this was tested in, I’ll scan the whole review at some point but thought I’d pop this here in the meantime.

Attachments

• 23953320-EAF1-43E8-BF0D-BA150AC90457.jpeg
    23953320-EAF1-43E8-BF0D-BA150AC90457.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 13
Would still love some level of conformation the top tube was replaced as you suggest and not repaired.

A great Frame if that top tube was replaced. thumbnail_IMG_2630.jpg

Back