Rims with hairline cracks around eyelets

Gosh no one should be selling you things with defects like that. I know the whole ‘buyer beware’ thing, but really, it’s just not right to sell things which have dangerous defects. People do do it though, time and time again. Not right.

Yes, unfortunately too much time has passed for me to do anything about it now. He was a nice chap and I'm inclined to believe he didn't know about the cracks. They were hard to spot until I cleaned them up.

This stresses the importance of washing your bike every now and then.
I've had to make a few 'bad news' phone calls to customers about cracks that have been discovered once their bike has been properly cleaned.
It's a bit scary at times to contemplate the consequence of cracks becoming breaks.

But yeah, that rim is toast.

I've recently had to do the same on a pair of CR17 ceramic in purple. Kept the damn things for years in the hope there werent duffed, but eventually accepted the fact my rare,desirable and bloody pricey assets were only fit for the bin

They shouldn’t of been sold as others have said. They are huge cracks not hairline.

I sell lots of wheels and really inspect them for small cracks on anything decent. Spent a good half hour looking over some Crossmax yesterday.

The cheapo stuff I sell for collection only so the buyer can inspect as I rarely find the time to inspect cheap wheels.

I have bought a few preowned sets like that on the bay.
Now I request the seller double checks with some photos before I consider buying.

Back