Ribble 1987 531c

Carbonmtb

Dirt Disciple
Hi all , I’ve acquired another bike , Ribble in 531 competition , it’s got full 105 grounder inc hubs and , 105 cranks , oval chain rings .

Is it worth a refurb or just run it as it is ?

Love the colour , cinelli bars and stem too, mavic rims .

Are they quite rare or not ?

Thanks in advance !

Attachments

• B791C3C9-D279-46B2-9B0C-E766AC29F160.jpeg
    B791C3C9-D279-46B2-9B0C-E766AC29F160.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 295
Hi there,
I've just refurbed a similar bike. See here:-
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=425356
In answer to your question - no they are not rare at all. At least they weren't rare back in the day.
As I mentioned in the other thread, upstairs at the Ribble shop in Preston there were rack upon rack of framesets. Always 30/40/50 hung up just waiting for customers.
In a greater part of NW England they were in effect the "standard" bike frame. Most folk built them up at home although the shop would build one for you. I don't think there was ever a "take it or leave it" model. They were all built to individual preference. Having said that, they all came out more or less the same.
As to doing a refurb that all depends on how pernickety you are. I refurbed mine as a lockdown project. The purists might wish you to either leave as is or do a complete back to new job, but that's all down to personal preference.
They were good frames that got a lot of use from a lot of people. How many are still around is a good question.

Interesting that your bike has the same seatpost as mine came with. It looks just about as bashed around as mine is!!!
Has this got mudguard eyes or is it just a trick of light?

Re:

Hi there thanks for the info!

Yes it has eyelets . I’m not sure what guards will fit , it’s pretty neat up but rides well , 42/23 will be interesting climbing !!

Will take a look at your thread , is 531c regarded as decent tubing? That’s why I bought it really and like the colour!

I guess I could replicate the colour if I got it re done but the survivor look is quite funny when passing modern expensive machines ha ha

531c was the standard tubing for years. Probably still is with the private frame builders. Good and reliable. No worries on that score.
As a rider of a modern machine I'd be more impressed if a fully restored and shiny version passed me. That would say a real enthusiast. If I was ever to be passed on something a bit battered I'd just think it was a no bed showing off. but whichever it was my old racing instinct would come in and I'd be after you in double quick time!!!

Having it properly restored might not be cheap. C&G in Liverpool are, or were, asking some £200 for a bike job. I got mine powdercoated for £60, but I wasn't looking to be historically correct.

Personal choice here...if I was going to restore it I would want to get it right back to being nice and shiny as it was on first ride. I've done mine as a knockabout/turbo bike because the paint job was apalling. If mine had been like yours I think I would have left as is.

Shamelessly copied from Wikipedia....

Introduced in 1935 and for many years at the forefront of alloy steel tubing technology, 531 cycle tubing has been superseded by more complex alloys and heat-treatment/cold-forming cycles as Reynolds continues to compete with other manufacturers of steel for the bicycle industry.[3]

531 tubing became the tubing-of-choice for most framebuilders at least partly because of the huge range of butting, diameters and thicknesses of tubes along with different stays and fork blades available - helped by the willingness of Reynolds to make special tubes for certain manufacturers. Reynolds also made up complete 'sets' of tubing for different cycling applications - for example 531c (Competition), 531st (Special Tourist), 531ATB (All Terrain Bike) and so-on. This flexibility made 531 still competitive even after the introduction of more advanced alloys. The widespread use of TIG and MIG welding in cycle manufacture became a problem as 531 reacted poorly to the higher temperatures produced and 531 has been gradually phased out as a result.[2]

The most common like-for-like replacements for 531 are Reynolds 520 and 525 - a Chrome-Molybdenum tubing with very similar characteristics, but in addition to brazing, can also be welded. The 520 tubing can often be seen on modern "fixie" bikes (urban "track" type bike frames), while the 525 with its thicker-walled seat stays is more for cyclo-cross and touring framesets.

The approximate alloying composition of 531 tubing is 1.5% Mn, 0.25% Mo, 0.35% C, and is similar to the old British BS970 En 16/18 steel (EN 16 is similar to grade BS970 605M36). Its mechanical properties and response to heat treatment are broadly similar to the AISI 4130 standard alloy steel, also used for bicycle frames, motorcycles, as well as aviation and motor-sport.[3] This material was used to form the front subframes on the Jaguar E-Type of the 1960s.[4]

Reynolds 531 is now only available by special order.[3] The nearest available stock material is BS4t45 to Bs5T100 in accordance with BS6S100 conditions.[5] (T45) Reynolds has superseded this tube set with a number of innovations such as Reynolds 753 and the more current 853. Reynolds also produces stainless steel tube sets for bicycle frame building - these are 925 and 953.

Re:

Ha ha I get plenty of nob heads trying to sit on your wheel these days! Some modern cyclist need to get a number on for real !

Yes I have modern machinery but I have a immaculate Bianchi mega pro xl which is kind on my old pretty bike , I will look into getting down at some point after I’ve been out on it to see how it rides properly, I think I’d like to keep the colours if I do it.

Cheers for the links and advice

I like that too

If it were mine, ride, see how it feels, then consider a strip and powder coat and new decals

I er, am also a wheel chaser but I am usually on something far older :oops:

Hi, I have a Ribble 531c very similar to your frame which I have recently built up. I think they're absolutely cracking frames and are often overlooked, but I can say the built quality is superb with really cleanly brazed lugs. My frame weight is 1750g and the fully built machine weighs in at 8.5kg .... definitely worth building and looking forward to riding mine as the weather gets better :)
Build thread here..viewtopic.php?f=23&t=419928

Attachments

• 20201113_152412.jpg
    20201113_152412.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 207
Re:

Wow that looks great !

I thinks as said I will get out on it and see how it feels , started to clean the hoods , could prob do with a fresh turbo saddle and new Fluro tape , tan wall tyres?? White pro 4 tyres?

How much is powder coating ? Can you tri colour with it?

Even thought about building it up with modern parts ? Mind the wheels are really good and no brake wear , it’s on a 7 speed block ? Would it take an 8? Thanks for the comments guys .

Hi again,
I got mine shotblasted and single colour powdercoated for £60. That was cash in hand!!! Job is very good, but I think that you can only have one colour and any other colours need to be applied afterwards probably by some form of painting method. Only problem is the guy is up in the long forgotten North of England; midway between Ormskirk and Southport.
I've no doubt he will do another; he is a non too serious triathlete so has some bike sympathies.
If you want to get in touch direct he is
https://www.apowdercoating.co.uk/
I've no idea what he will charge for a more "legit" transaction but until you ask you won't find out.
If you want I'm happy to act as a go between. Send the frame to me and I'll take it round to him. Might be cheaper that way. Shipping will have to be sorted out in any event. Happy to help if you want me to.

My Ribble came set up for 7 speed, but I found the shifters were actually 8 speed. I bought an 8 speed block from a well known retailer where I could easily return it, but it went on perfectly and works a treat. Back in the 1990s when I was racing these frames there was no 8 speed. 7 speed was cutting edge and worked well.

Back