Replacement cable outers

sheggers

Old School Hero
I've just fitted a new set of campag cables with white outers but have realised I've cut the outers too short for the height of my stem, so need to get some new ones (and then re-wrap the bar tape etc :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: ). I have a bit of slack on the cable itself so don't need to replace it as well - anyone know a good place just to buy some outers? Or do I need to buy the full cable set again? I can't seem to find replacement campag anywhere...

cheers

you can get double-ended ferrules to lengthen outer cables - fit a small length of cable from the levers to the straight section of the bars, fit ferrule, then fit the outers you already have from there to wherever they need to go. You might need to trim them down slightly. Make sure the outers fit properly into the ferrules and everything should work just fine. Unless you're going 100% correct on a particular build, there's no need to use campag outers - any decent outers will do. Most LBS have shimano outers in rolls that they will cut to order, much cheaper than campag kits. Or try any of the online shops for jagwire, clarks, etc. Just make sure that the inners are campag style, especially for the gears.

Re:

having said that, the campag cables I had didn't have ferrules for the brake cables, only the gear cables - is that normal? I did scratch my head when I was building it this weekend but decided it was ok as the cable pack didn't come with any.

Campag don't use ferrules on the brake cables, I think. There was a thread about this a few months ago. I can't remember the details...

Back