Reinstate the 25 year rolling road tax exemption

Re:

I`d be all for this as it would make my mk2 GTi road tax free this year, however, I really can`t imagine the government trying to encourage everyone to drive around in an uneconomical (45mpg) oil burning tree killer. Surely government is becoming anti diesel, anti V8 and thumbs up for eco friendly hybrids. :cry:

Re: Re:

fettler":32vacun5 said:
I`d be all for this as it would make my mk2 GTi road tax free this year, however, I really can`t imagine the government trying to encourage everyone to drive around in an uneconomical (45mpg) oil burning tree killer. Surely government is becoming anti diesel, anti V8 and thumbs up for eco friendly hybrids. :cry:

Surely no more uneconomical than the Prime Ministers own private A330 or whatever it is, that we have just bought. Having also footed a £10m refit, but hey, it will save £775k p/a, so that's ok :roll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34864328

But he is one of the presidents of the world. Why shouldnt a despot own his private jet ?.

Re:

When you say own :?

I would question whether he has absolute power as well.

Isn't he answerable to Liz ?

Or is your tongue firmly in your cheek?

Re:

the 25 year rolling exemption for classic cars was stopped in 1997 ie cars made in 1972 and prior, and was effectively frozen. The rolling exemption was reintroduced in 2012, but not backdated, so has ended up at 40 years. So this is really about exempting vehicles made between 1975 and 1990 as it stands.

I have one Lightweight Land Rover built 1974 which I changed to historic last year :D and another built 1975 which is currently in pieces and sorned that I need to get changed after April which I think is the date you have to wait for. While it's sorned, doesn't make much difference.

So what is the best and worst classic 1975 - 1990 ?

and any car whatever mpg is more environmentally friendly if keeping it on the road means one less car is built with all the associated materials that need to be produced for it.

Re:

Road tax..? All vehicles were exempted from that 79 years ago.

If petitioners want vehicle tax exemptions to be rolled forwards, starting with their facts right would be a good beginning.

Re: Re:

daugs":1fzo2k4t said:
The rolling exemption was reintroduced in 2012, but not backdated, so has ended up at 40 years. So this is really about exempting vehicles made between 1975 and 1990 as it stands.
Is that correct? It's just that I've got a shed load of late '70's' to late '90's' Jap muscle bikes :shock:

Back