Recommend me singlespeed hubs

Just built up a wheel with a Phil Wood Kiss-Off for my singlespeed. I've done a couple of hundred miles on it - solid, finish is better than the best Campag Record, smooth as a cashmere codpiece, wheel spins forever.
18364.jpg

I paired it with a White Industries freewheel off my old hub (a Hope screw-on built up with the axle reversed). After 10 years it had developed a click due to me bending the axle. I still run the Hope lightweight on the front. No other hub as light (70g).

It's £95, well worth it compared to the Surly which looks plain crude by comparison. Disc and fix/free versions are available.
https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Phil-Wo ... 18364.aspx
35922774_10212112987246399_7793266846341267456_n.jpg

Re:

Just out of interest hamster what is the distance between hub flanges on the Phil Wood?

I cut a Quando in half a few years back and interference-fitted a few inches cut off one end of an alloy handlebar in between- tired of single-speed wheels with pointless dish. it's pretty close to 70mm between flanges.

Re:

Thanks.
Yeah these wide-flanged symmetrical rear wheels do inspire confidence don't they?
..although probably the only person who's confident in my Quando (actually it might be a Joytech) is me.. :)

Re: Re:

torqueless":zzd1ees9 said:
Thanks.
Yeah these wide-flanged symmetrical rear wheels do inspire confidence don't they?
..although probably the only person who's confident in my Quando (actually it might be a Joytech) is me.. :)

They will all take punishment, the thing I like about the Phil is that it has that kind of 'fit and forget' feel. Bearing in mind my singlespeed gets ridden year round, little maintenance is necessary other than brake blocks and occasional chains. After 8 years I finally ground out a bottom bracket.

Back