Rech mech mount thread question

rwm1962

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I've a rear mech won't thread into the frame. It's been powdercoated & it looks like the the threads are contaminated. I've tried a spiral wire brush & solvent but still the same.

As it's bank holiday weekend curious to know if a LBS workshop is likely to have a thread chaser for this? If not is is a standard M10 bolt thread? I don't have one to try. If it is I guess I could get one & do a diy thread chaser 'RJ the Bike Guy' style.

Grab the bolt from another old mech and work it in, perhaps scrape the top of the threads off first (if it has paint on it).

Edit forgot the other parts.
Yes 10x1mm standard thread, and you can work from the backside to clean it up.

Edit a say standard, seems there are three sizes of taps 1.5 1.25 and 1.0
1.25 and 1.0 could be fine pitch depending which table you read :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Cheers - I should have a M10 somewhere or it's a trip to Screwfix Old spare mechs not something I have. Cutting a notch at cardinal points with a dremel & working it back & forth in the hole has worked for BB's & bottle cage bosses in the past

Thanks @FluffyChicken. I remembered & located a tap & die set my old man gave me I never used. With your info I've gently chased it with the M10 X 1 tap & mechs bolted on snugly. I'll be giving the partly rusty set some TLC & keeping it handy.

Cheers!

IMG_20210502_213823-01.jpeg

Back