Raleigh Sprint 18-23 Hi Tensile Steel FRAME

stezbot

Retro Newbie
All I know is that it's a Raleigh Sprint, steel frame, 18-23 tubing. Original Nottingham production. All signage pretty much rubbed off but you have the original markings.

It was my grandad's commuter bike so has the straight handlebars and chunky seat. I do think the seat is original based on photos I've seen of other Raleigh racing, and as I think it was a racing bike (because of the 'sprint' model) the handlebars are not (metal has reacted like steel though). I can't imagine him having changed them though (or being a racer) so likely come second-hand to him.

My ex decided to strip it to rebuild it, got bored, and it's been just the frame for 5 years now. I would prefer it to go to someone who can do it up and get it used again. After my grandad died, I got the bike and would commute cycle in London, 18 miles a day and it was top notch, even if the low gear lever was a pain. The frame is still great, but you really have to start from scratch and also get that steel cleaned.

I am selling £100 (though very open to suggestions and offers) - even if you're not interested, if you can help point me in the direction of what this actually can be, maybe I can better reach out to those who could want it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• bike_raleigh_1.JPG
    bike_raleigh_1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,760
  • bike_raleigh_9.JPG
    bike_raleigh_9.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,760
  • bike_raleigh_12.JPG
    bike_raleigh_12.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,760
  • bike_raleigh_13.JPG
    bike_raleigh_13.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,760
A bit of info, from what I know - although it may be called a 'sprint', this was not what would be considered a true 'racing' bike. It was squarely aimed at the general consumer (for want of a better phrase), not serious cyclists (back when having a 'racer' was the cool thing - as long as it looked sort of 'racy'!) Raleigh did also make a model called the 'Record Sprint', which was more of a true racing/road bike.

Most people used bikes like the one you have here for exactly the same sort of thing your Grandad did - commuting, getting around town, etc. So...it's not really worth anything, I'm afraid - even as a fully built up bike you'd struggle to get £100 for it. Sorry for the bad news!

Back