Raleigh Portage rack identification question

Mark Manley

Raleigh Fan
Can anyone identify the make of front and rear racks used on this Raleigh Portage for me please? I think it might be a Blackburn but that model does not come up if I Google it.

Portage 15.jpg

Could be Showa or Blackburn, one of these gents will know for sure. What a gorgeous bike. Did you import it? @Imlach @grantoury @KermitGKona88 @Woz @squirrelchaser @bagpuss

Unfortunately not mine the photo is borrowed from somewhere, I have looked at buying one in the US and importing it but even over there they are quite rare and not cheap, I am considering building a replica using a Royal frameset or something similar, if I got a caliper braked frame I would have to get some cantilever brake bosses brazed on to suit 650B wheels but there is a local frame builder who I am sure could help with that.

I think you can get long drop centre pulls if you didn't want to braze bosses on.

That is also a consideration, I have cantis on my Royal and they work well. I have searched Showa front rack and that looks like the answer, there is even a pair for sale on this very site unfortunately six years ago but at least I know what to look for now.

Unfortunately not mine the photo is borrowed from somewhere, I have looked at buying one in the US and importing it but even over there they are quite rare and not cheap, I am considering building a replica using a Royal frameset or something similar, if I got a caliper braked frame I would have to get some cantilever brake bosses brazed on to suit 650B wheels but there is a local frame builder who I am sure could help with that.

I have this but it may be too big

1688890651596.png

I have this but it may be too big

View attachment 756858

Unfortunately yes I take a 21" road frame, this is the model I have an eye out for with the Raleigh pantographs, horizontal dropouts as it might have a hub gear and caliper brakes. Something cosmetically bad would be best as it would be getting a respray and possibly some brazing, Thanks to a reply in another thread I believe it is a 1986 model I am after.

IMG_20230510_082959.png

Back