Questions about Marzocchi Z1 Cartridges 1997 / 1998

Dr-Zocchi

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Biker,

have a look at this picture, it shows a pair of hydraulic cartridges from a Z1 BAM with 100mm travel, the casting is from 97. I'm not sure all parts are from 97, but anyway.

My question is a bout the differnce of this cartridges. I have 2 other Z1, a classic Z1 with 100mm and a Z1 BAM with 130mm, both are using 2 identical (silver) cartridges - this is what I found also in all the Z1 manuals.

This Z1 Bam has a red one and a silver one. It looks and feels like the same, they both have the hole in the bottom, but when I compare some pictures from spares, packages are labeled :

- red cartridges: --> Rebound Cartridge
- silver cartridges : --> Compression Cartridge

I believe Marzocchi changed somehow the cartridges in about 1998 and put a red and a silver one into the forks?!
Can someone of you gurus please advice? What is the difference of the cartridges??

Thanks for a note!

Attachments

• BAM Casting Year 97 800px.jpg
    BAM Casting Year 97 800px.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Cartridges Marzocchi Z1 BAM 100 Travel 800px.jpg
    Cartridges Marzocchi Z1 BAM 100 Travel 800px.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 219
I mixed up the cartridges when I took my Z-1 apart. You can tell them apart if you fill a cup with oil and cycle them with that hole submerged.

Good thing to do anyway, as it cleans some pretty gross stuff out of the cartridges. I had to do one of them a bunch of times, still wasn't perfect, but started to run out of clean oil.

Also not sure about the colors, both my Z-1 forks have two silver cartridges. I think at one point replacement cartridges for all forks were red. I have some Z-2 carts that are red, and they only used one rebound on the one side.

wesmamyke":1r0jaf6i said:
I mixed up the cartridges when I took my Z-1 apart. You can tell them apart if you fill a cup with oil and cycle them with that hole submerged.

You mean they are looking the same but behave different? How do they behave, what is the difference? Would like to see a picture from the inside ... :)

Good thing to do anyway, as it cleans some pretty gross stuff out of the cartridges. I had to do one of them a bunch of times, still wasn't perfect, but started to run out of clean oil.

Yes, I did it with white spirit (washing petrol?) and a lot of dirt came out.

Also not sure about the colors, both my Z-1 forks have two silver cartridges. I think at one point replacement cartridges for all forks were red. I have some Z-2 carts that are red, and they only used one rebound on the one side.

From what I have seen in the manuals, the Z2 has an asynchon design inside.

Regarding Rebound : I always thought about the catridges do the same : rebound and compression damping?

Thanks

In the Z-1 each cart does one thing. One is compression, the other is rebound. When cycled by hand with oil in them you can feel the resistance, one will be the opposite.

In a Z-2 the cart only does rebound, and you only have the one rebound adjuster.

You can't really take them apart, that's why you cycle oil through them. I would probably avoid running solvent through them. If you damage anything in there they are no longer usable, and replacements are not available.

wesmamyke":3dxc88ej said:
In the Z-1 each cart does one thing. One is compression, the other is rebound. When cycled by hand with oil in them you can feel the resistance, one will be the opposite.

In a Z-2 the cart only does rebound, and you only have the one rebound adjuster.

You can't really take them apart, that's why you cycle oil through them. I would probably avoid running solvent through them. If you damage anything in there they are no longer usable, and replacements are not available.

Hi, after some tests with about 5-6 cartridges from Z1 forks I can't reproduce any difference in rebound/compression. All this cartridges I tested slide in easily and are 'damoing' somehow, depeding on the knob adjustment.
I did the tests with a small glas, pumped the cartridges full and tried to find out by moving up and down (while bottom part was still in oil), in which direction I need more force.
For me all this cartridges are the same, but some are red coloured.

Z1 cartridges are both rebound cartridges, as far as I'm aware. The exception is the Z1 CR fork, this has separate compression and rebound cartridges. The rebound cartridge has a silver screwdriver slot, the compression cartridge has a black screwdriver slot for adjustment. I've a set in the shed so I can take a couple of photos if you're interested.

The compression cartridge was introduced in 2000 and could be retrofitted to some older models.

Evidence:
From the tech docs
Adjustable Rebound Cartridge
Found in 2000 model Z.1 QR 20, Z.1 CR, Z.2 Atom 80, Mr. T QR20, Jr. T, Monster T, 1999 Z.1 QR 20, Z.1 BAM, Z.1 Alloy, Z.2 Atom Bomb, Z.2 BAM, Z.2 Alloy, Mr. T, Monster T, 1998 Z.1 BAM, Z.1
Alloy, Z.2 Atom Bomb, Z.2 BAM, Z.2 Alloy, Mr. T, 1997 Z.1, Z.2 " Adjustable via external adjuster
" Allows rider to tune rebound speed to coordinate with spring rate " Proven design.

Adjustable Compression Cartridge
New for 2000 is our adjustable Compression Cartridge found on the Z.1 CR, Z.1 QR.20, Mr. T
QR.20, Monster Triple " Adjustable via external adjuster with infinite adjustability " Limits ‘dive’
under the compression stroke " Tune out ‘bobbing’ during sustained climbs " Sophisticated shim
stack design features a high-pressure blow-by function that eliminates hydraulic lock under hard
hits " Shim stack design also protects valve and cartridge body from damage under heavy forces
" Compression Cartridge allows rider to tune compression feel to match body weight " Retrofits
into ’97, ’98, or ’99 fork models where applicable

Sorry for not seeing the question before. :)

My pleasure! The rebound adjuster is standard colour etc, the compression adjuster is black. Pictures should be attached.

Attachments

• Z1 CR 2000.jpg
    Z1 CR 2000.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Rebound Adjuster.jpg
    Rebound Adjuster.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Compression Adjuster.jpg
    Compression Adjuster.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 7
Back