Question about cassette lock rings

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I’m curious to know whether these cassette lock rings are universal for say 8/9 speed shimano compatible cassettes?
My cassette has 12 notches - I presume these are referred to as teeth?

Would one of these simply replace the one on already?
Or are they specific for a certain speed?
96FDFE24-E491-4B4C-8E0D-FC9FE0CF3640.jpeg

Cheers

F88E59A2-9B2B-4B9C-9130-1E332C100FB5.png

Cassette lock rings are pretty universal, only thing you may want to pay attention to is the fact that there's a slight difference between lock rings intended for cassettes with 11 teeth on the smallest sprocket vs 12 teeth on the smallest sprocket.

Ok!
The description of the Tiso says shimano 11 teeth - my smallest cog has 11 so should be ok?

Cassette lock rings are pretty universal, only thing you may want to pay attention to is the fact that there's a slight difference between lock rings intended for cassettes with 11 teeth on the smallest sprocket vs 12 teeth on the smallest sprocket.
Yes, all HG freewheel (8-11) speed cassettes should work with the same HG lockrings. 12 speed cassette uses microspline freewheel enabling 10t smallest sprocket. M-spline lockring and HG lockrings are not interchangeable.

Yes, all HG freewheel (8-11) speed cassettes should work with the same HG lockrings. 12 speed cassette uses microspline freewheel enabling 10t smallest sprocket. M-spline lockring and HG lockrings are not interchangeable.
I've never had anything above 10 speed me, no surprise that 12 has completely different standards. Isn't 12 speed the first gearing setup to change the internal diameter of multi speed chains as well?

Not all threads are the same depth on locking rings. You may need a deeper threaded ring when say adapting normal cassettes to run on xtr m900 hubs or where you have had to fiddle the spacing a bit.

Also, some freehub/spindle arrangements of old just won't let you get enough of the tool in to get a grip....putting back a deeper thread with a locking washer under can help no end.

Not all threads are the same depth on locking rings. You may need a deeper threaded ring when say adapting normal cassettes to run on xtr m900 hubs or where you have had to fiddle the spacing a bit.

Also, some freehub/spindle arrangements of old just won't let you get enough of the tool in to get a grip....putting back a deeper thread with a locking washer under can help no end.

Edco make a lockring called the "Ten+Eleven" which has more thread than regular lockrings. They made it for their monobloc 11 speed cassette which fits on a 10 speed cassette body. A standard lockring would not be able to engage with this extra cog and spacer.
I see no reason why it wouldn't work on regular shimano cogs. Am sure there are different sizes to suit your final cog and last time i looked they were actually quite cheap. It is red, too.

Latest posts

Back