Proflex Beast 1997 - Way Big (may sell as frame+shock only)

twads

Retro Newbie
Im assuming a good number on here will actually know what this is.

1997 Proflex Beast own a fine peice of mountain bike history. Frame size Way Big (bit awkward to measure but would say around 20.5 inch from middle of bottom bracket to top of seat tube) so suitable for 6ft+ riders (or 32 inch inside leg+ at a guess). Back in the day these were one of the first DH bikes but nowadays would say XC with amount of travel. Retail was over £2k. Wont see many of these about especially in this size. Proper rare as hens teeth retro biking.

Bike has hardly been used since owned and sat unused between 2000-2006. In 2006 swopped the girvin chubby forks (as elastomers gone bit hard and whilst researching found the forks been recalled) for a brand new set of Magura Asgaards which are air oil, 100mm travel (think original forks were 120mm). Also fitted new FSA Pig headset, short stem (also have a X Lite stem in yellow but bit tatty paint) bottom bracket and a pair of Michellin Hot S tyres. Was then only used about 3 times late 2010.

Frame: Patented Pro-Active design 7005 Easton ProGram triangle, Box Section aluminum swingarm, 3.5" travel. Noleen coil shock. No leaks. Bearings in frame seem fine, simplicity is its beauty hardly any bearings to replace.

WTB Velociraptor rims on LX hubs.

Front mech - LX
Rear Mech - Sram ESP 7.0
Shifters been upgraded to the lighter better quality Sram ESP 9.0
Magura HS11 hydrallic rim brakes with quick release.
Seatpost - Titec
Bottom Bracket - LX 68 x 110
Shock: Noleen Racing NR-2, adjustable compression and rebound, nitrogen charged, floating piston

Collection or your welcome to send a courier.

Few chips in paint but no dents, cracks etc. Its led a very easy life........bit like me thats why im a lard@rse haha. (will give it another clean up next day or so and will give it a good look over again)

Good condition peddles maybe need stripping and greased and gears slightly retuned. May want to play around with fork air pressure (pump provided) and prehaps swop for longer stem as the replacement forks have changed the geometry slightly from original.

£299 ono

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,600
next pic (am sure there is a way can upload several to one post but I dont pretend not to be retarded)

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,596
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,596
  • mech.jpg
    mech.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,596
Way to big? nah youll grow into it. The reason God gave you 2 kidneys is for situations like this in your life... sell one of them :LOL:

Cheers. Did you bother upgrading the shock, remember seeing on a proflex forum few years back various upgraded shocks being run like Risse Racing or riders who had custom fitted fox, rockshox etc.

I was going to get a adapter made to put in a air can in. Didn't bother though as was happy with the noleen shock as I got it serviced and nitrogen recharge done for £30. Also increased the travel, had 5" on the noleen - cut down the bumper. I was going get a disc adapter fitted but didn't see no point as had a magura on it.

The DIY 5" travel mod is genius will have to ammend post, although guess would mean swopping to longer travel forks. From memory am sure there was a lad called Callam from Scotland who used to sell disc mount plates, elastomers for girvin forks etc.

Back