People, lend me your brains! (help ID a frame)

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Right then, ebay strikes again. A speculative punt on what appeared to be a badly listed and miss-matched-specced something-or-other (but possibly a gem) came in. Then I found THIS discussion where various among the forum were debating the numerous features that made this NOT what it said on the tin (its not the initial discussion point but you know how these things digress). Uncertainty all around!

Anyway. I picked it up the other day and its certainly a mixed bag. Some usable and good condition parts in there so in any event I should be able to cover my financial outlay, but I would really like to ID this frame. It seems unlikely that it is what it says it is, but what is it?

Decals appear genuine/original ie not obviously cheaply cut vinyl, BUT frame shows signs of possible respray eg serial number on BB shell is barely visible, some welds appear smothered and seems thickly coated in places. Paint isnt too bad, its not too bashed about which is a good start too, but I cant trust paintjob or decals. So what do I know? Well....

Frame including BB, a stuck bottle bolt and all the paint and muck weighs around 2.35kg / 5lb 3oz. An odd BB in my bits box was 346g / 12oz so I estimate frame weight around 2kg / 4.4lb, so its not too shabby in the weight stakes.

Frame measures
Seattube 16in bb-c 19.5in bb-top
Top tube 55cm, Down tube 60cm, Chainstay 42cm, Seat stay 47cm
1+1/8th steerer
Top tube is ovalised horizontally at seattube and vertically at headtube.
Downtube is ovalised vertically at headtube but feels round at the seattube.
Cable guides along top tube.
Rear mech cable runs underneath seatstays
Roller to allow bottom-pull front mech bolted into rear of seattube
Seatpost is marked as 27.0mm
Seat clamp is separate from the frame not integrated.
Cable hanger for rear brakes is round tube in a smooth arch.
Chainstays are ovalised vertically at the seatpost.
Chainstay and seatstay on drive side are flattened at dropouts, presumably to aid chain clearance
Non-replacable mech hanger

Chainstay is not crimped or flattened to aid tyre clearance just the tubes curve out a bit.
Seatstays appear to become smaller diameter tubes at the ends, most noticable at the bottom.

Fork is marked 163E366 on the steerer, other than that no ID I can find. Note the curved bottom to the fork leg, the P2s I have seen are a straight end to the tube so I guess that's another nail in the kona coffin.

I will likely use this frame for something, but the effort I put into the project will depend on it being a worthwhile case. I may just build it up as a budget job for my dad (he wants a pottering bike) but if its something worth looking after I'm up for another project!

GO!

Attachments

• bulged seattube.JPG
    bulged seattube.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,196
  • top of seattube2.JPG
    top of seattube2.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,195
  • chainstays.JPG
    chainstays.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,195
  • headtube welds.JPG
    headtube welds.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,191
  • fork dropouts.JPG
    fork dropouts.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,194
Re:

It's Tange Prestige Concept tubing, that of a Kona Kiliwhatsit of 1993.
Frame weight (bottom bracket is probably a bit lighter) for 19" will be around 4.7lb odd for one of them (they are heavier than I was expecting, heavier than most my other frames of that era)

So 4.5-4.6lb would be normal for a high end frame of this era.

But that has a top routed front mech so it is not Kona?

What is the frame serial number.

Any full frame pictures?

Oh the top pull wheel would date it around 91-93

ParkPre?

Re: Re:

REKIBorter":25sjlf59 said:
That aint a Parkpre
I don't know the turn of the 90s parkpre only thing I could think of that is a Kona with top routing setup. And it's not a Rocky (blizzard) or Brodie that I know of.

OK, so if we think tange prestige that narrows it down nicely.

google images for "tange prestige parkpre" gives some pretty close results with the rear mech cable routing etc but look to have indentations in chainstays for tyre.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=245624

This old ebay listing for a team 925 looks very close on the shapes of the tubes but with different cable routing for front mech. The cable routing holder things on the top tube looks the same shape, that could be a brand feature or generic I'm not sure...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parkpre-Team-92 ... 7675.l2557

"tange prestige barracuda" was less successful initially but I will keep looking.

Search continues

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

'Concept' is the important part of the tubing name. It's very specific tubing.

92 explosif, 93 Kilauea.

RickTheUncivil":vap9iwup said:
Note the curved bottom to the fork leg, the P2s I have seen are a straight end to the tube so I guess that's another nail in the kona coffin.
Early P2 forks used that curved dropout profile:

file.php

I think your frame is probably a 1992 Explosif that's been heavily reworked at some point: new cable routing and cable stops, smoothed-over welds and a respray.

Back