Park race stand mods for modern rigs (BRING OUT YOUR STANDS…)

2manyoranges

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I spotted a Park Race stand (like this)

1689667311800.jpeg
And managed to get it for 95.00 including postage - postage must have been HUGE due to the weight.

So far so good. I knew that it only had the 100mm and 110mm QR axle block, and so knew that I needed a 10mm axle 100 and 110mm block like this:

1689667592435.jpeg
but then I realised that the top arm was too short for very long modern Enduro rigs. Grrr. But no problem. I simply measured up the chrome arm with a Vernier gauge (rightly assuming that it would be imperial and not metric, given USA manufacture) and then bought a long section of mild steel square section. Six holes later, two self tapping screws and some filing, I had a replacement arm which can hold both axle blocks, QR and thru-axle, and matches even the longest of long, low and slack as well as short, high and steep. Hurrah. Lovely stand to use, since it has height adjustment and can swivel a wee bit, gives a good non-back-breaking height to work on BB etc, plus very easy to set up gears, which can be an issue with top-tube holding work stands.

I have a Blackburn too, which is nicely portable, like the Park Race Stand, which has done absolutely sterling service for 20 years...

1689668153837.jpeg

I have an Aldi workstand that cost 30 euros. I use it all the time. It clamps the seatpost and makes for easy work on chains, derailleurs and brakes because it brings the bicycle in eye sight. No silly turning the bike over, which is kid's stuff, really. 😜 It is surprisingly sturdy and stable. I won't be needing another anytime soon. No faff, it sets up in no time.

I have an Aldi workstand that cost 30 euros. I use it all the time. It clamps the seatpost and makes for easy work on chains, derailleurs and brakes because it brings the bicycle in eye sight. No silly turning the bike over, which is kid's stuff, really. 😜 It is surprisingly sturdy and stable. I won't be needing another anytime soon. No faff, it sets up in no time.
Ah with you on that perspective. I absolutely knackered my back, leaning over bikes doing maintenance and cleaning. A work stand stops all that. Putting a bike upside down doesn’t work for bikes with certain brake setups, for bikes with any garmin attachments (some of them integral to stems) and usually damages bar, brake and grips, in my experience.

My Blackburn was 20gbp at a bike jumble and when I lived in a small terraced house, simply folded up in a small space. I loan mine out all the time to friends, who often pick one up after using mine.

mines an exceptionally old contraption bought in a French super market in the late 90's early 00's by my parents as a holiday gift it holds from the rear and just under the down tube, it's been painted a million times, it's rusty because it used to live outside, it's annoying if not quite setup right as the crank hits the frame.

it's awesome. :)

I intend to replace it with a home made stand at some point.

Same here :)

Same (and Lidl, PlanetX etc all have variants of the same one). Had it for over ten years now I think, back when they sold out before lunch and Aldi had a decent different MTB and Cycling range, not the stuff they regurgitate now aim at road-commuters.
I leave mine outside in all weathers, Sun, Heatwaves, Snow, Ice, Torrents. Last month I gave it a clean and lube up. Still works as good as new just looks a bit faded.

Er but pictures.!

All that faff.

This methods is much easier.

Turn bike upside down, Place on the ground.

Perfect and easy access to the chain and wheels.

Above method is fine for retro bikes (well, apart from scuffing up your thumbshifter top caps) but crap for bleeding disk brakes or removing suspension lowers.
Got a 20 year old Park work stand that clamps the seat-post or top tube. Nearest modern one I can see is the PCS 4-2. Never liked the designs like that top picture (sorry 2manyoranges). Can't spin front wheel for adjusting brakes or headset.

...Never liked the designs like that top picture (sorry 2manyoranges). Can't spin front wheel for adjusting brakes or headset.
You can make benchtop designs out of old roof rack bike mounts, but have the same problem. Really stable for working on the bike itself though, compared to a toptub/seatpost/tube clamper, mainly as they keep the wheels rigid.

Back