Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

A friend of mine wants to remove the BB from his old Colnago, Panasonic colours.
I'm not sure which way the thread goes on these, can someone please advise?

Thanks,

Muz

Italian most likely so normal thread both sides. The size might be stamped on the cups. For Italian the BB shell will be 70mm so might be easiest to measure that.

If it's a steel frame a Colnago is unlikely to have anything other than an Italian BB which is a righthand thread each side. As mentioned, most cups have a size marked on them. However if there's nothing to be seen, the best action would be to remove the LH cup which will have a 'normal' right-hand thread (I've never saw a non-drive side cup with a LH thread, even when I was dealing with French and Swiss bikes, so it's anti-clockwise to unscrew), remove the bb cartridge and take a look to see if there's anything on it to denote the fitting. If the removed cup is 36mm diameter then it's Italian - anything smaller presents something of a problem as BSA and French/Swiss are so close you can't really tell unless you try to fit them in a frame with known thread sizes.

Back