Orbit Romany - Columbus Nivacrom

PeterPerfect

Senior Retro Guru
Picked this up yesterday.

I first made contact about it a few weeks ago and managed to get it.

26" wheel version.

Drops with bar end shifters.

A little bit of personal tinkering to do to it tomorrow.

I hope my m8 has the bar tape I'm after in stock.

Will have new tubes and tyres as well.

I'll post some pics shortly.

I've been keeping a vague eye out for an Orbit Expedition for a while. Is this basically the same thing but in Nivacrom rather than 531?

Sounds fun.

I've been keeping a vague eye out for an Orbit Expedition for a while. Is this basically the same thing but in Nivacrom rather than 531?

Sounds fun.
Yes, they're quite similar.

The other version of mine was available in Reynolds 853.

I can only assume, despite the name, the Romany is lighter and has longer chainstays.

Also, although mine is disc brake, it has the braze-ons for Cantis. Strange to see both options from new.

The previous owner who had it from new specified it with both.

I'm pretty sure there was a Forum Member that used to work for Orbit. I'm going back some time.

I'd be interested, once I've posted the pics, if he's still knocking about, to get his thoughts.

Last edited:
Bit of a delay for the pics.

Firstly, the brake levers were fitted the wrong way round, I suspect they've been like this from new!

The Clarks disc brakes appear to be the MTB ones and have little or no pull. One of them was on it's way out anyway; so, I've swapped the calipers out for Avid BB5 R.

More fettling needed on the handlebar set up before the new bar tape is added.

Swapped the tyres out for new Panaracer 26 x 2.1. Admittedly, not as much puncture protection as the Schwalbes so I'll see how I get on with them.

At last, it's done.

Why do drop handlebars always look oversized in photos? Despite how it appears, they're not!

Very comfortable and planted. It's built to ride at my pace i.e. slow.

Rolls pretty well. I'll see how the tyres cope as I've never used this particular one before.

I took the front rack off as I'll probably use the bar bag.

Tried this saddle and initial thoughts are very good. If it doesn't work out then I'll swap it out for my Brooks Flyer.

Attachments

• 20231011_160109.jpg
    20231011_160109.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 20231011_160126.jpg
    20231011_160126.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • 20231011_160141.jpg
    20231011_160141.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Back