Orange Five Pro, feat. Ghetto tubeless and SRAMano shifting

Re:

Some pictures of the old skool drivetrain. I think it looks great on the bike, but I'll find out at the weekend if it works as well as it should.

Attachments

• IMG_31012019_094325_(1150_x_647_pixel).jpg
    IMG_31012019_094325_(1150_x_647_pixel).jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_31012019_094352_(700_x_1244_pixel).jpg
    IMG_31012019_094352_(700_x_1244_pixel).jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_31012019_094404_(700_x_1244_pixel).jpg
    IMG_31012019_094404_(700_x_1244_pixel).jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 918
Re:

I've been running that set up with just a narrow wide on my voodoo Wanga without suffering chain drop or anything like that. It offered nice, crisp shifting too, better than I was getting on my 1x10 with the cheapo zitto cassette. My concerns on this bike are:
the range given that I've now had a taste of SLX 1x11 with a 46t low gear
The increments between gears on my main trail bike, which were fine on my hardtail before, but it's not quite the same situation.
How the suspension might affect the chain as it moves through its travel and over rougher terrain.

Re: Voodoo Canzo / Orange Five Pro, with Ghetto tubeless saga

Duxuk":140hkm9n said:
Yes, my Canzo was from Halfords, who have a new version now. The components were quite good. Much better than just about any £1000 bike. It just felt sluggish from day one. The Orange, on the other hand, was a hooligan tool, always encouraging me to go faster!
Well I like to blame the bike but it could have been my own fault.

I bought this canzo frame when it came up for sale. One of the things that made me part with the money was the outstanding review on bike radar. Looking at the reviews for later canzos it would seem the corner cutting started in 2011. The 2010 was the last good year. I’ve not ridden this yet but my son who I built it for has and he seems happy enough with it.

Carl

Re:

I should stress that the Canzo was perfectly adequate, and I wasn't planning to change bikes or frames when the orange came up on gumtree. However, the price was irresistible for a bike that I coveted as a teenager, so I had to seize the opportunity.

Re:

Today I received a purchase that I've been toying with for some time. For me, the king of saddles is the charge spoon, and I run them on three of my bikes. However, the Gusset R Series is quite similar, and comes in a love-it-or-hate-it tartan pattern which I've been quite taken with. I'm going to try it on the orange five, and if I like it, fine, if I don't get on with it for long days in the saddle, then it can go on my Orange Hitman instead, because the saddle on a pump track bike doesn't really matter, it just needs to look good.

Attachments

• IMG_13022019_094055_(725_x_1289_pixel).jpg
    IMG_13022019_094055_(725_x_1289_pixel).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 828
Re:

March 2019 update
So the non-clutch derailleur on a full suss trail bike resulted in the chain dropping more than the same setup did on my voodoo wanga hardtail. The next thing I tried was my m7000 mech (10 spd with clutch) and a SRAM X9 shifter, which can work by tinkering with the cable routing in the pinch bolt, as the cable pull ratios are 1.1:1 for the Shimano 10 spd mech and 1:1 for the SRAM shifter. This resulted in far less chain dropping, but less than ideal shifting. I can't be bothered tinkering endlessly with the cable routing through the derailleur, so I'm going to resurrect the 10spd setup, with a clamp on shifter (I was using i-spec-B with my SLX brakes, but can't use that with my hope tech brake levers) and a Deore 11-42t cassette replacing the cheapo eBay 'zitto' cassette. I'm also considering investing in a Wippermann connex 10sb where I can only assume the SB stands for super bling because the chains look awesome. I am in two minds though, because they're not cheap, so if anyone can share their experiences that would be appreciated.

Re:

The time has come for me to sell this frame, as I'm a convert to the 29" wheel platform. I'll be sticking with orange, but buying something much less retro, although I do intend to use most of the equipment from this orange bar the fork and wheels really.
The 09 Five is provisionally sold to shedobits but I'll put a sale post up if he chooses to pass.

Back