Orange Aluminium O , now purple anodised, pics page 3! update 01/12/23

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
hye guys,

i picked up an Aluminium O frame off stocko a while ago, long term project for my shop, a resto project to add to the shop collection as a retro show piece/talking point in the shop. this frame has at some point been repainted in red, it's a bit beat up but ok but i want to put a more original paint job on it.

so what options were there? i seem to remember there was:-

orange white fade
black
matt grey
purple anodised

i did one a few years ago in white which looked good but wasn't original

were there any others?

pics always good!

Remember your white 'O' well Jon from the Thetford retro rideouts....that one and the Gold Elite 😎😎

The colours you've listed there were the 'standard' ones. Got 2 black and 2 orange/white fade "O" - one of those is the prototype 'Iceman' from Calum.

Always fancied doing a JPS livery inspired black with gold "O" or a clockwork inspired all Orange 🍊 version.

@markjohnson76 did a really nice "O" in red.

@Cheshire1980 , @clockwork davo @Carge @FluffyChicken @brocklanders023 all have really nice examples work checking out.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

cheers captain, thought i was right about the colours, i want to go original but i'm sort of bored with orange/white and i've never been a fan of black paint, which leaves grey

ok, so i searched for my original thread on my white build, that bike did look good i think, the fork made it ride badly though, which is why i sold it, but before having it painted i rode it with a steel 420a-c fork and it was fine, then i found the correct fork which was 390a-c, i assumed it would be ok but when i first rode the bike it felt terrible, i remember speaking to michael bonney about it, he said referring to the geometry "yeah we made a mess of that one" which made me laugh, when you compare the genuine aluminium forks to the genuine steel one you can see the difference in the trail and rake which explains the difference in handling.

ok, so i found a pic of what my original aluminium O looked like, taken from the thread when i got it. this is from a thread where i was dumb enough to get an anodised purple frame repainted which i consider now to be a facepalm moment! so here's what it looked like
aluminium o 001resize.jpg

100 percent get it anodised purple. It would look awesome.. plus.. I think you need to do penance to the retro bike gods for your earlier serious lack of judgement.

Just reflected for a moment on my above comment.. and just feel I need to add.. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?

It’s not like Alum Os are tough to find rough painted or in bare aluminium..

Anyway. Look forward to the results, whatever you decide on!

Your white one was ace mate but purple with the later decals would be a real change. There was a lovely ano purple bike on ebay for ages as it was far too much money.

If you want original but also a talking point you need to think outside the box.
What’s better than an original paint job…two original paint jobs of course!
As a focal feast, a talking point of note and because I like to be different, I’d do a ‘harlequin’ type effort, completely different one side to the other.
Imagine it looking ano purple from one side and white/orange fade from the other!!
It doesn’t get more original (twice as much in fact) or more of a talking point (twice as much in fact🤔) than this wacky idea…only downside is it could be costly, but uniqueness often is.
You’re welcome.👊😅

Back