Opinions on Genisis Steel bikes

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Anyone own or has owned a Genesis steel bike.

Thinking of getting a Croix De Fer flat bar touring bike, steel framed with lifetime warranty, hydraulic brakes, rack and mudguard mounts and usable (if not a little heavy) for fitness rides.

More planned surgery, work commitments, means building a Retro Tourer is slow. And missing out of touring as each day passes.

Thoughts, apart from old bikes are better. Which I know is true :D

Re:

I own two and have owned a third.

An Altitude 1.0, Fortitude Adventure and a Fortitude Race. They're all Reynolds 725 tubed.

The Altitude I bought used, frame only and built it up with whatever shrapnel I had in the cave. It's my grotty weather MTB and the one I lend if someone comes round without a bike and wants to go for a ride, absolutely love it, brilliant ride and perfectly suited to my local trails.

The Fortitudes I bought new. My observation of having bought new is that they are 80% decent parts and the remaining 20% well you can see where corners have been cut to meet a selling price. The standard headset, bottom bracket, cranks and seat QR were dreadful. I took them off and replaced them with decent kit straight away. I also swapped the saddle, seat post and stem to get the fit and comfort right for me.

I used the Adventure for commuting, fitted Schwalbe Marathons, mudguards and rack and have covered 6k miles on it so far in all weathers, all terrains (my commute was 50/50 on/off road) with panniers. (The one thing that I'd have changed about the design would have been to add a rear mech hanger to the frame so that I could run a rear mech if needed.)

The Race I never really took to and only sold a month ago, the big wheels didn't suit my local ride I suppose.

I've been very impressed with all the frames, well thought out, sensible braze ons and great rides.

I hope this helps.

Re: Re:

Tad":yg994yoo said:
I own two and have owned a third.

An Altitude 1.0, Fortitude Adventure and a Fortitude Race. They're all Reynolds 725 tubed.

The Altitude I bought used, frame only and built it up with whatever shrapnel I had in the cave. It's my grotty weather MTB and the one I lend if someone comes round without a bike and wants to go for a ride, absolutely love it, brilliant ride and perfectly suited to my local trails.

The Fortitudes I bought new. My observation of having bought new is that they are 80% decent parts and the remaining 20% well you can see where corners have been cut to meet a selling price. The standard headset, bottom bracket, cranks and seat QR were dreadful. I took them off and replaced them with decent kit straight away. I also swapped the saddle, seat post and stem to get the fit and comfort right for me.

I used the Adventure for commuting, fitted Schwalbe Marathons, mudguards and rack and have covered 6k miles on it so far in all weathers, all terrains (my commute was 50/50 on/off road) with panniers. (The one thing that I'd have changed about the design would have been to add a rear mech hanger to the frame so that I could run a rear mech if needed.)

The Race I never really took to and only sold a month ago, the big wheels didn't suit my local ride I suppose.

I've been very impressed with all the frames, well thought out, sensible braze ons and great rides.

I hope this helps.

Is this similar to the longitude ?

Any pics of the adventure ?

Re:

I'll try to get you a pic of mine tomorrow. In the mean time...

Stock pic:

genesis_fortitude_adventure_side.jpg

From here:

https://bikeshed.johnhoogstrate.nl/bicy ... spiration/

Re:

That's pretty much exactly what I am looking for, maybe the CDF flat bar is too tarmac based. I want something or off road touring.

I think the Longitude is the same just with a 2x10.

Re:

The Fortitude Race was 1x10 deraileur geared rather than hub geared but with no guard mounts, pannier mounts or mounts on the fork legs. Otherwise the frame was identical.

They're very capable off road and great load luggers.

Had an Altitude 20 frame (853) nearly a carbon copy of mid/late 90's Kona but with disc tabs and slightly more modern geometry , fantastic frame and loved it built up , then got a Soul and that was even better .

Re:

I have an Equilibrium which I've had 4 years from new. I love it. Rides superb, good quality frame.

Back