Offroad Proflex 752 build

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so years ago, well 1992 i bought a 552 frame/fork and stem, i sold it late 93, to be honest i never thought it was an amazing bike back then, i just wanted full suspension and i thought it was cool, i was the first person i knew who had a full suspension bike, initially i built it with parts from a previous bike, a mix of deore dx and a bit of xt, with mag 20 forks, i gradually rebuilt it with pretty much full xtr m900, all this on a paperboy wage!

anyway, about i don't know 10 years ago i bought a 752 frame, i think from here on retrobike, it has languished in my garage since then, un touched. until about 3 weeks ago when i finally got around to fitting the elastomer kit i got from suspension fork parts, i bought an older cannondale sm700 as a donor, some might consider using a cannondale as a donor sacrilege but i was never overly fussed about cannondale and this had most of the right parts to get the proflex going.

i still need a few bits but it's getting there, this is the only pic i have right now, i'll get a few more in the next day or so

proflex.jpeg

Looks great. I had a 550 back in the day.

Still have nightmares about setting that rear brake rocker up. Ditched it for a Magura and then had to put up with "different brake lever" OCD as I kept a canti on the front.

@markoc to be fair this one set really nicely, i had xt rapid fire2 STI's first it felt good with those, but i found the shifter had died, luckily i had some Dx STI's i could use, doesn't feel quite as good but it does work fine. it locked up the wheel on the testride anyway!

so i got pretty much finished on this today while the shop is quiet.

only new parts are tyres/.tubes/cables/pads, the rest is all good used parts, it rides ok on the car park test!

View attachment 800665

View attachment 800666

View attachment 800667

View attachment 800668

View attachment 800669

View attachment 800670

so i got pretty much finished on this today while the shop is quiet.

only new parts are tyres/.tubes/cables/pads, the rest is all good used parts, it rides ok on the car park test!

View attachment 800665

View attachment 800666

View attachment 800667

View attachment 800668

View attachment 800669

View attachment 800670
You have done a very nice restoration. I have acquired the same bike - but it is missing the hardware for the rear brakes. Looking at your photo of the rear brake, it appears that the brake cable housing has a barrel adjuster that is stopped by a lug on the swing arm (chain stay). Is this correct? My swing arm does not have any braze-on to terminate the brake housing. I am very confused at how this works. Thanks very much for any help you can provide. Bruce

@Bruce i was lucky when i got this frame that the small rocker assembly was with the frame, they are extremely hard to find if you haven't got one, i modified the one i have and fitted the cable adjuster as the guide for the brake cable outer was a little worn so i cut a thread and fitted the adjuster, i'll take some more pics for you so you can see it a little better. FYI though i think someone else on here made one for themselves, seem to remember they showed dimensions of it so you could make one your self.

@Bruce i was lucky when i got this frame that the small rocker assembly was with the frame, they are extremely hard to find if you haven't got one, i modified the one i have and fitted the cable adjuster as the guide for the brake cable outer was a little worn so i cut a thread and fitted the adjuster, i'll take some more pics for you so you can see it a little better. FYI though i think someone else on here made one for themselves, seem to remember they showed dimensions of it so you could make one your self.
Thanks for this info - appreciate the close-up photos when you can find the time to send them. This rear brake configuration is quite unique. Does your rear brake work okay for 'easy braking'.

i just found this pic on an old thread, this is basically the same as what i have, although in thic pic the straddle cable is hooked up poorly

Attachments

• canti rocker.jpg
    canti rocker.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1
i just found this pic on an old thread, this is basically the same as what i have, although in thic pic the straddle cable is hooked up poorly
This picture explains it - thanks! I had no idea why the brake mount had that bolt - it's to terminate the brake cable inner wire - so the housing can 'push' on the rocker cam. That's different!

had a bit more of a play with the Proflex, i wasn't happy with the DX STI units, clunky is how i'd describe them, i had a pair of thumbshifters and my buddy Dave karma'd me a set of brake levers, so as it was quiet today in the shop i decided to get this done, i should point out that it was only quiet because i forgot about the bank holiday making all my weekend deliveries a day late! so tomorrow is gonna be very busy!

i'm quite happy with this now, it's a little beat up in places but that's ok, literally everything on this bike is used so overall i think it's quite cool.

proflex1.jpg

proflex2.jpg

Back