Non retro, weight weenie, $1300 home built, Chinese carbon mountain bike racer.

Nabeaquam

BoTM Winner
Nine kg almost all carbon rigid racer I built in 2018. Chinese carbon fork, frame, stem, seat post and bars. Steel fasteners. Twenty six by three inch tires. Bargain (obsolete) new carbon three chainring crank converted to 2x. Mechanical disc brakes as they were light and inexpensive. Total cost by careful bargain shopping was $1300. Some carbon parts were just too expensive so I substituted alloy in some places. IMG_0031.jpeg IMG_0033.jpeg IMG_0032.jpeg IMG_0035.jpeg
Cuttin off excess carbon steerer.
IMG_0036.jpeg
Meet Matty Maggot, the racer. IMG_0030.jpeg

The race, most expensive and painful one I ever did. IMG_0038.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpeg
    IMG_0032.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks. Hardest single day bike race in the states. It took me 17 hours to go 103 KM. That included 2300 meters of climb over mostly unridable rocks, roots and drops. Very twisty tight trail so there was no place to get up a head of stream on the downhills to attack the uphills. It went up a 200 meter ski hill at the start, in the twilight it went up a luge run and in the dark a 100 meter skii jump (normal hill in the Olympics). I lost a toenail as I pushed the bike almost 40 K, as does almost everyone. Sixty % did not finish. I strided a lot on some of the sections in the dark. The worst drops were at the end, after midnight for me. There was a torrential thunderstorm at night and I had to slide the bike down into puddles at the bottom. A lot of hilarious swearing as people crashed into deep puddles at the bottom of glacial polished clay covered drops. I didn’t try to ride the drops, some I couldn’t and the others I was just too tired. Thick woods prevented alternate routs in the dark and rain. My knees looked like my elbow. IMG_0043.jpeg IMG_0042.jpeg
IMG_0040.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Thanks. Hardest single day bike race in the states. It took me 17 hours to go 103 KM. That included 2300 meters of climb over mostly unridable rocks, roots and drops. Very twisty tight trail so there was no place to get up a head of stream on the downhills to attack the uphills. It went up a 200 meter ski hill at the start, in the twilight it went up a luge run and in the dark a 100 meter skii jump (normal hill in the Olympics). I lost a toenail as I pushed the bike almost 40 K, as does almost everyone. Sixty % did not finish. I strided a lot on some of the sections in the dark. The worst drops were at the end, after midnight for me. There was a torrential thunderstorm at night and I had to slide the bike down into puddles at the bottom. A lot of hilarious swearing as people crashed into deep puddles at the bottom of glacial polished clay covered drops. I didn’t try to ride the drops, some I couldn’t and the others I was just too tired. Thick woods prevented alternate routs in the dark and rain. My knees looked like my elbow.View attachment 817283View attachment 817282
View attachment 817284

View attachment 817285
That is epic mate, I feel humbled when I see rides like this. Well done for finishing 👍

With the two idiots above, legendary.
I’m not allowed to do it again, but few would want to. Part of the difficulty with this race is that registrations starts at midnight and they only take 666 entries. It’s hard to get into as it fills up almost immediately. In a few minute like 2 or 3. Sometimes registration is on Friday the 13th. Then the organizers keep messing with your head. A lot of people aren’t up to it or don’t want to deal with the hassle. The messing with your head, the Le Mons 800 meter running start and required gps course download are too much. It’s a lot like army basic training, mental hassles plus extreme physical abuse. It’s self supported without aid stations, in and out of cell reception. There are a few unofficial trail angles that have food, the wurst aid station is usually somewhere with bratwurst, grilled cheese sandwiches and beer. Before the ski jump climb there was a young gal with her SUV tail gate up and many varieties of hard booze. I drank some Irish and it kept coming up, a mistake. You have to pick up wood poker chips at random places, different each year except at the last one. The last one is on top of what they call the worlds largest gemstone, Jasper Knob, a grueling climb. When I got to the top the token basket was stuffed with pine cones and acorns. I didn’t get the joke, I was mentally exhausted. Another guy told me it was a joke. The finish guy quizzed me about the basket and then gave me the last poker chip. Two years ago all the chips were near the end in one place. People kept thinking they missed the check points. Last year it was candy tokens, life savers, dumb dumbs, atomic red hots. One guy didn’t get it and ate his first token.

Last edited:
I’m not allowed to do it again, but few would want to. Part of the difficulty with this race is that registrations starts at midnight and they only take 666 entries. It’s hard to get into as it fills up almost immediately. In a few minute like 2 or 3. Sometimes registration is on Friday the 13th. Then the organizers keep messing with your head. A lot of people aren’t up to it or don’t want to deal with the hassle. The messing with your head, the Le Mons 800 meter running start and required gps course download are too much. It’s a lot like army basic training, mental hassles plus extreme physical abuse. It’s self supported without aid stations, in and out of cell reception. There are a few unofficial trail angles that have food, the wurst aid station is usually somewhere with bratwurst, grilled cheese sandwiches and beer. Before the ski jump climb there was a young gal with her SUV tail gate up and many varieties of hard booze. I drank some Irish and it kept coming up, a mistake. You have to pick up wood poker chips at random places, different each year except at the last one. The last one is on top of what the call the worlds largest gemstone, Jasper Knob, a grueling climb. When I got to the top the token basket was stuffed with pine cones and acorns. I didn’t get the joke, I was mentally exhausted. Another guy told me it was a joke. The finish guy quizzed me about the basket and then gave me the last poker chip. Two years ago all the chips were near the end in one place. People kept thinking they missed the check points. Last year it was candy tokens, life savers, dumb dumbs, atomic red hots. One guy didn’t get it and ate his first token.
Sadomasochistic gag reel ! Mental .

Back