Newbie on gt outpost all terra mtb with shift probs

Wheelies online has nearly everything and local to me in Swansea, as u say except the shifters I want so will , take option c and maybe upgrade in future

It doesn't help either that my mate in work who does a lot of mileage on his road bike and is a MAMIL ,ragging me its a steel dinosaur ,ur wasting time money and effort, u like the claude so much cos its more modern , nicer changes ,lighter etc , ditch it and move with the times etc etc lol .but then it wouldnt be a retro bike would it ????, and i do have newer bike to ride if i want , but he does have a point TBH --- option c!!!!!! the way i see it i cudnt part with it and to have it hanging there gathering dust, its pointless unless its rideable eh ????

Re:

Hang on. Option C only works if you don't have a U brake at the back. The U brake complicates things for two reasons: the brake bosses are the wrong distance from the rims for V brakes and V brake levers have a pull ratio that is different from the pull ratio used by U brakes and cantilever brakes. So, shifters that have integrated V brake levers are not the answer. You will need standalone shifters, either modern or vintage, and your existing brake levers or you will need shifters with integrated brake levers that are designed for cantilever and U brakes. The bike shop you mentioned should be good for a new cassette, chain and perhaps derailleur, and might be able to advise further about shifters. Good luck.

Have ordered the standalone shifters from the link, the price is what it is !!! I will keep the standard brake setup , they work great tbf even stopping my fat arse, Thanks for advice everyone

Often old brakes can be miraculously improved with new pads. They often get very hard and breaking can suffer as a result.

First call for me would be some new sticky pads.

Good luck with the rebuild .....oh and remember...steel is the real deal......

Back