New or Counterfeit Suntour XC-Pro Crankset?

sksmith2500

Dirt Disciple
Are there any Sutour experts out there that can verify or know if these cranks on Ebay are new or counterfeit?

I would never guess that these would reach the point of being counterfeited, but the crank arms are not like any Suntour arms that I can ever recall.

1631115487363.png

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I saw these on eBay too, and thought the same.

The way the SUNTOUR logo is crammed against the drive side crank arm looks suspicious to me. That logo is sometimes placed pretty close, depending on the series (MD, Expert, Etc.,) but not usually that close.

SUNTOU

Although you can seemingly see the R reflected on the arm's surface, so I don't know.

I've also never seen cranks this shape under XC Pro, but I'm sure someone here knows better than I...

Wouldn’t touch that with a bargepole. No XC Pro arms looked like that, and the quality looks very low. Suntour products have a date code, and the info is generally stamped/engraved not part of the mold as this appears. There were some later SR/Suntour period Superbe Pro parts including cranks but these are still nicer looking than these.

Looks like a legit outer ring though 😂

Late 90's style shimano scalping of the rear and bulging in the middle etc.

Outer and granny *may* well be* Suntour XC-Pro, and for NOS the granny is fitted wrongly.
Middle isn't, bolts are not and the arms are shite.

One tick.. I'll grab a pic link to a real one, this'll be 1992 probably.

*given the shite quality of the arm, the ring is remarkedly too good to not be.

As above. Arms aren't like any I've owned. Can't make out the lettering on the arm on my mobile, but pretty sure suntour ones wer stamped suntour and pro on the back. Spider and arm shape is wrong but outer ring looks legit.

Ignoring the chainrings and brand name these look like Prowheel or Lasco - the sort of brands that made Bontrager chainsets etc, mostly found on budget road bikes a few years ago.

That iffy 'soft' looking polished chrome style finish and very soft materials.

Its nagging me because I had a few of these cranks pass through many moons ago.

They looked like copies of late LX/ XT 5 arm cranks just before the 4 arm stuff appeared

1631171443813.png 1631171654175.png

More here

and here https://m.bukalapak.com/p/sepeda/drivetrain/crank/3pgon3o-jual-crank-suntour-xc-pro

Different photos and a bit more in focus. Remarkable the rings appear to be stamped which I guess is not impossible to forge.

I’ve seen some Superbe Comp and Superbe Pro arms branded SR Suntour which had the original Superbe logos but different arm design to the originals. Is it possible there was a small amount of SR made stuff that didn’t make it to distribution? Or is it Far East fakery? Seems like a very limited market for that amount of effort.
On a separate note - anyone noticed the ridiculously priced NOS Suntour from Japan - even at the eye watering prices the shipping is even more ridiculous.

More here

and here https://m.bukalapak.com/p/sepeda/drivetrain/crank/3pgon3o-jual-crank-suntour-xc-pro

Different photos and a bit more in focus. Remarkable the rings appear to be stamped which I guess is not impossible to forge.

I’ve seen some Superbe Comp and Superbe Pro arms branded SR Suntour which had the original Superbe logos but different arm design to the originals. Is it possible there was a small amount of SR made stuff that didn’t make it to distribution? Or is it Far East fakery? Seems like a very limited market for that amount of effort.
On a separate note - anyone noticed the ridiculously priced NOS Suntour from Japan - even at the eye watering prices the shipping is even more ridiculous.
They are certainly not cheap if they're forgeries :oops:

It’s very interesting as they have other parts nos such as the DX and suntour shifters. I’ve sent retro parts to china before so there is a market out there. If you check out sold listings, they’ve had multiple amounts of nos items. I’ve bought nos stuff from asia before, my guess is they’re getting hold of old factory stock that was made in malaysia, Taiwan etc. As for the crankset in question, I think legrandfromage is correct-prowheel and old stock chainrings that have been Botched together to sell.

Back