Wanted New Guy here

Spatula

Retro Newbie
Hey Peeps. I'm new here and thought I should introduce myself and say hello. Hi, my name is Craig and I'm a vintage bike junkie. I've joined in search of a particular component. I recently purchased a Litespeed Unicoi and am doing a full restoration to the cycle. The crankset is a Shimano XTR M952 octalink. The teeth have worn and I'm now looking for a Middleburn 4 arm triple ring spider. Any leads? I would also entertain a 5 arm spider but from the research I have done thus far, the five arm rings are becoming more and more rare. Is this true?

Welcome Craig. You've posted this in a "wanted" section of the site. There is an"introduce yourself section" also.
Actually ignore me you are looking for a certain part so it's all good 😉

Hi Spatula!
Welcome onboard!Hope your experience here is a good one,I'm sure it will be.Think of it like Gala Bingo-set your limit and take a break from it every now and again;).And easy on the heckling😆.The 5 arm uses 110/78 bcd rings.Although the original rings are in short supply,aftermarket rings in 110 bcd are available.Not sure about the 78 bcd granny ring but they tend to last.The 4 arm big rings are still around here and there but the 112 bcd middle rings are harder to find in good condition.If you don't mind aftermarket I would look around for 110 bcd rings.Would be the cheaper option.Depends on how much originality you want versus budget.👍
Sorry,misread,thought you already had the 5 arm:rolleyes:.But it still kind of makes sense I hope!

Hi Spatula!
Welcome onboard!Hope your experience here is a good one,I'm sure it will be.Think of it like Gala Bingo-set your limit and take a break from it every now and again;).And easy on the heckling😆.The 5 arm uses 110/78 bcd rings.Although the original rings are in short supply,aftermarket rings in 110 bcd are available.Not sure about the 78 bcd granny ring but they tend to last.The 4 arm big rings are still around here and there but the 112 bcd middle rings are harder to find in good condition.If you don't mind aftermarket I would look around for 110 bcd rings.Would be the cheaper option.Depends on how much originality you want versus budget.👍
Sorry,misread,thought you already had the 5 arm:rolleyes:.But it still kind of makes sense I hope!
Thank you... very informative.

It's 74 not 78 BCD but that's just numbers ;-).

You should be able to adapt the 4 and 5 arm from the mc-40 stx-rc and the early next gen early 00s series.
Iirc 750? may be a direct replacement ment, or a few mm out.
Search the forum, it's been chatted about a few time over the years.

Thanks Fluffy,think the numbers got jiggled around in my head.I have a spider to convert the XT M739 crankset to 94/58 Shimano compact.Has the same spline pattern as M95X but as the shape of the arms is different it won't fit.
I have an M750 crankset here and some M952 arms,will have a quick check to see if it works,thanks for the tip,back shortly!

Yeah,can confirm the original M750 spider fits M95X cranks,distance between the big ring and the arm appears to be the same give or take a mm or two.
As mentioned,worth checking previous threads to confirm from someone who's actually fitted and ridden this setup.

Yeah,can confirm the original M750 spider fits M95X cranks,distance between the big ring and the arm appears to be the same give or take a mm or two.
As mentioned,worth checking previous threads to confirm from someone who's actually fitted and ridden this setup.
Captain, would you be interested in parting ways with the M750 spider. No biggie if not.

Latest posts

Back