My 1980s Paganini Supercorsa

foucalt

Retro Newbie
Just thought I'd share my bike.
In 1987 I had a Paganini Supercorsa built for me by The Cycle Centre in Frodsham with full Campag chorus on Mavic clinchers see pic 1987. I adored that bike but was out of work 12 yrs ago and needed money so had to sell. Always regretted selling so now and again I'd search on Ebay for one and couple of months ago one came up which I bought see pic 2019. Thought I'd found my original bike but it differs as it has cable route inside top tub. Anyway, I've just built it up except for a chain which will be going on in couple of weeks. Cannot wait to try it out see pics 1 to 4.

I have original chorus pedals which like to fit but have no compatible shoes with cleat for toe clips so if any one knows where could get some appreciate it. Checking on Ebay but non my size 12 feet.

Attachments

• 4.gif
    4.gif
    477.3 KB · Views: 882
  • 3.gif
    3.gif
    414.5 KB · Views: 883
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    368.1 KB · Views: 874
  • 1.gif
    1.gif
    404.3 KB · Views: 887
  • 2019.gif
    2019.gif
    337.5 KB · Views: 886
  • 1987.gif
    1987.gif
    263.5 KB · Views: 889
Really lovely Paganini.
Glad you managed to find one and ease your mind after selling your old one.
This one too looks great and I'm sure will give you many happy miles.
Look forward to hearing how you like the ride and whether it lives up to the memory.

Jamie

Nice looking machine.

Tempted to go back to D/T shifters for the full retro experience? It normally takes me about twenty minutes until I stop trying to push a brake lever sideways :)

Dave

Ghastlyrabbitfat":2srhif27 said:
Nice looking machine.

Tempted to go back to D/T shifters for the full retro experience? It normally takes me about twenty minutes until I stop trying to push a brake lever sideways :)

Dave

Undecided as I am so use to indexing now so hard to go back as not used down shifters for over 10 yrs. Plus, if I still had my original bike I'd have probably upgraded it by now to indexing. I do have the levers/shifters so could go back to them one day. Although, they are not the curved edge Chorus D/T levers which are really nice as the ones I have to fit are more straight. That's if I am remembering them correctly as not seen them since were on my old bike.

Should be interesting to compare the ride on it to my carbon bike which is probably at least 4 kilos lighter. That's not the point though as carbon I enjoy but this is for the experience.

Re:

Beautiful :cool:

Always wanted a Paganini, but the only examples to hit the internet sales recently have been huge framesizes :(

anytime a 54cm comes up, let me know ;)

Re: Re:

Glad you like it as think they are underrated. I was, like most at the time in the 80s, after a Colnago Master yet money wise out of my reach. Then a friend bought same frame as this one but in red & white. When I went to local LBS and saw the blue & white version I had to have it. Bought the frame & saved some more £s and 6 months later had it built up with full Campag Chorus on Mavics. Cost me about £1200 late 80s which was probably at least half cost of a Colnago Master. If building a Colnago Master back then it had to be full Record so probably be more than double. Anyway, the frame has to be seen 'in the flesh' to appreciate just how beautiful it is. Even today I am still not bored looking at it as it sits at top of my stairs and I pass by it all the time.

I have seen smaller frames turn up on ebay but all I have seen have been a bit rough. One of those frames needs to be kept clean and can look untidy very quickly. My old bike, although stored in house, still got specs of rust on the chrome - just had to polish now again.

I was reading a thread on another forum (Can't for the life of me remember which?) earlier this week regarding Paganini frames and the Plum Cycle shop in Ghent - wish I could remember the forum ?

Anyhow some info on the supercorsa from back in the day, quoted - not my own work...

Paganini was the shop brand of one of the absolute top class traditional bicycle shops of Belgium. Plum Ghent is actually one of the most renowned bike shops in the world. They became famous, selling their Plum Vainqueur racing bikes. But when Italian steel dominated the market, they established the brand Paganini.
These frames were built by Billato in Italy to a really high standard. Billato was a contract builder and they were also responsible for the later Ciöcc; Concorde and Conti Frames.
The great quality of the frame is partly due to the material and partly due to the craftsmanship. The tubing is nothing less than Columbus' SLX tubing, which with their helical inner reinforcements were the most popular material for professional road bicycles during the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Fine, engraved lugs are nicely thinned and a number holder for serious racing has been brazed on.
For proper handling without any worries, a complete Shimano 105 groupset has been installed. This extra reliable set of componentry will allow you to take the bike anywhere you want to go. Brakes will bring you to a safe stop, the shifting works precisely, and the bearings are running smoothly. It has been completely checked and serviced in our workshop and is ready to go.
A steel bike that wants to be used everyday, be it commuting or touring. The Paganini will help you to accomplish your goals

I'm still on the lookout for a 54cm Plum Paganini

Just thought I'd share my bike.
In 1987 I had a Paganini Supercorsa built for me by The Cycle Centre in Frodsham with full Campag chorus on Mavic clinchers see pic 1987. I adored that bike but was out of work 12 yrs ago and needed money so had to sell. Always regretted selling so now and again I'd search on Ebay for one and couple of months ago one came up which I bought see pic 2019. Thought I'd found my original bike but it differs as it has cable route inside top tub. Anyway, I've just built it up except for a chain which will be going on in couple of weeks. Cannot wait to try it out see pics 1 to 4.

I have original chorus pedals which like to fit but have no compatible shoes with cleat for toe clips so if any one knows where could get some appreciate it. Checking on Ebay but non my size 12 feet.
Hi,

Do you know an approx worth of the frame? I have the same one and would love to know an approximate value if I were to sell it!

Thanks!

I was reading a thread on another forum (Can't for the life of me remember which?) earlier this week regarding Paganini frames and the Plum Cycle shop in Ghent - wish I could remember the forum ?

Anyhow some info on the supercorsa from back in the day, quoted - not my own work...

Paganini was the shop brand of one of the absolute top class traditional bicycle shops of Belgium. Plum Ghent is actually one of the most renowned bike shops in the world. They became famous, selling their Plum Vainqueur racing bikes. But when Italian steel dominated the market, they established the brand Paganini.
These frames were built by Billato in Italy to a really high standard. Billato was a contract builder and they were also responsible for the later Ciöcc; Concorde and Conti Frames.
The great quality of the frame is partly due to the material and partly due to the craftsmanship. The tubing is nothing less than Columbus' SLX tubing, which with their helical inner reinforcements were the most popular material for professional road bicycles during the late 1980s and early 1990s.
Fine, engraved lugs are nicely thinned and a number holder for serious racing has been brazed on.
For proper handling without any worries, a complete Shimano 105 groupset has been installed. This extra reliable set of componentry will allow you to take the bike anywhere you want to go. Brakes will bring you to a safe stop, the shifting works precisely, and the bearings are running smoothly. It has been completely checked and serviced in our workshop and is ready to go.
A steel bike that wants to be used everyday, be it commuting or touring. The Paganini will help you to accomplish your goals

I'm still on the lookout for a 54cm Plum Paganini
Hi! I have this Paganini frame on my fixie and would love to know the worth of it. I am likely going to sell it soon as I have no more room for bikes but don't know too much about it. It looks like you know a lot!
thanks in advance!!

Thanks!

Sky

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 9.29.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 9.29.50 AM.png
    317.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 9.30.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 9.30.12 AM.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 9.30.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 9.30.04 AM.png