Mercian - King of Mercia - Touring Geometry 653 - update Page: 6

Had a lovely ride out of the King of Mercia on Sunday with Brian on his Cube. We did the loop out from Beauly down Glen Affric to Cannick for lunch and then returned on the singletrack road on the other side of the river. Great way to spend the afternoon.
We had nice weather for it as it was fairly clear, warm and with little wind, which made a change from the last week or so.
The King of Mercia ran perfect whether it was climbing or just rolling along, it is so comfortable and stable. I did have one little incident early on when we were on a run downhill after a decent climb my chain jammed between the big and middle ring, which is unusual as this thing normally shifts really fine and I just put it down to me crossed the chain a bit much and a one off. I realised it was jammed and I was doing a fair speed at this point but managed to just cruise of the other side of the road into a driveway opening. Fixed it within a minute and was back on my way. Bike was superb the rest of the ride and didn't think of it again.
I drove home and got the bike out the van the following afternoon after work as I got back up north quite late after the ride only to find the sound that I thought was my multitool jingling in the Carradice was in fact my chainrings all loose. All three rings were tinking away as I had lost one bolt completely off the big/middle ring and all small ring bolts were loose. Lost a spacer as well! Never felt a thing and shifted its usual slick way so can only assume it was at the end. Very lucky as it could have caused a crash easily enough, let alone an injury. Anyway it's stripped now and new bolts all round ordered and most likely fit new rings while I am at it as the ones on it are getting a bit worn.

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr