MBUK Yorkshire connection?

JCS

Kona Fan
I was an avid reader of MBUK from 1988 - 1991 but (much to my regret!) they were all sold on ebay years ago when I was moving house.

Anyway one thing I remember noticing was how many of the MBUK articles were based in Yorkshire - for example:
- The Northern Wrecking Crew regularly testing bikes in the Dales / Dalby Forest, etc.
- Articles such as the one about 'Roadie Chasing' - mentions and photographs the Bradford to Skipton road
- Close affinity with Yorkshire-based businesses - i.e. Pace, Stif cycles?

Was the MBUK office in Yorkshire? and/or many of its writers based there?

As I don't have the mags anymore, I can't check, but if any of you have insight to this random question I'd love to hear!

Brant Richards, aka Zak Tempest and more recently known for On One, Ragley and trousers lived in Bingley bitd. Jon Stephenson certainly was local to Leeds at some point.

The offices were in Bath, Future publishing. John Stevenson was located there iirc. But a lot of the contributors were from oop North I think. Pete Tompkins among others. I remember that really tall fella with a Cannondale too.

grew up around and rode lots of the spots that were in the early vids like dirt ect which was always a buzz for everyone having local spots in major vids, been a while since I ve been back to the “death pack” though was there when I last checked quite a few years ago

Reactions: JCS
Was Pete Tompkins the guy in dirt on the full sus and full dh get up sliding down the quarry screes and floating over the tabletop at great ayton or was that someone else, I remember riding the tabletop when I was a kid but the tabletop disappeared at some point - I don’t remember it being there after the early/mid 2000s once the death pack got built - last time I was there we were sessioning the mini pack (which still pretty sizeable) and a younger lad managed to break his wrist right in front of us nose diving the second mini pack double so that was the end of that session making sure the lad got help and off too ane - actually never seen any mtbrs or footage of any mtbrs attempting the death pack but I know there’s lots of NE BMXrs who did it and there’s some footage of them somewhere, those jumps look absolutely knarlsworth in the flesh - does anyone know of any Mtb dirt jumpers who ve done them or has footage anywhere

The offices were in Bath, Future publishing. John Stevenson was located there iirc. But a lot of the contributors were from oop North I think. Pete Tompkins among others. I remember that really tall fella with a Cannondale too.

I think the tall guy is Jamie Carr or Joe Waugh who works as a Scott rep, both were northern wreckers. Both rode in the expert class back then.

Latest posts

Back