Marzocchi Bomber (updated with photos)

It's a 1998 Bomber Z2 BAM. I have the same fork but with blue decals. The 1998 Rocky Mountain Blizzard came with this fork and rubber stanchion dust caps as standard.

So I’ve got this fork now and have a little more info. I’m still not sure exactly what it is. The lowers and the crown are both stamped 97. It is all alloy, it does not have a steel steerer. The condition is incredible. It looks near new. The lowers are metallic black with a subtle gold metal flake. The decals are in perfect condition, as new. The crown is highly polished, you could use it for a shaving mirror! I have not had it opened and don’t know the service history, but it functions perfectly. I’ll put up a photo shortly. Do you think this is a rebuild?

Yeah, mine is nearly identical to yours, but with blue decals.

97 date code stamped on the lowers and the crown, but my serial number is a lot lower (Z2 402###). It's a lovely fork.. how long is the steerer?

It's tough to see if it's a rebuild, as most aftermarket seals are nearly identical to the original. Mine needs a rebuild but I'm too lazy but now that I have a bike for it, it's an incentive for me to do it.

If you're looking to part ways with it I'd be interested, if the steerer is longer than 210mm. ;)

Thanks! The steerer is 187mm. It’s probably going to go up on eBay.

It came on a 2000 Giant Iguana SE, with an upgraded front end. Mavic rim laced to White Industries hub, KORE elite titanium skewer, Avid V brake.

What is being said is the 97 means it is a 1998 model fork.
Bombers are stamped with the year before the model year, mainly as they are released a few month before the model years year... 😮

And the Z2 means it is a Z2 level

There are a few variation of the Z2 that year, but nor enough to worry about.

Your is the Z2 Alloy, basically the low leg is of the older 97 style, not the new style used that year.

Manuals etc are here https://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Marzocchi/Maintenance/
1st page has two manuals, the BAM one shows the three variations.
The last page had a tuning guide on, well worth a read to set the fork up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back