Marin Rockstar - dimensions required

Frankenorange

Orange 🍊 Fan
Could someone please help with two dimensions for the 1 1/8th non-threaded Marin Rockstar tripled butted fork, please.

1. Rake/offset

2. Axle to crown

3. Weight

I think it is 48mm, 410mm and sub 900grams(approx 880 with 200mm steerer?) , but would like some numbers from the reall world.

Thank you in advance.

I've got one on my 1997 Marin Hawk Hill.

Just measured the axle to crown length as 42cm. Rake is hard to measure so can't help there I'm afraid.

It rides really nicely on rough stuff, though there is a good amount of visible flex going on, which can be slightly unnerving!

Have a pair from a '96 IFT,from a 19" frame so the steerer is 220mm.Weigh 0.9 Kg on my luggage scales (only measure to nearest 100g).410mm axle to crown.As mentioned,rake a tricky one to measure accurately but I would say around the 45mm mark,could be 48.Are you cobbling some new combination together?

I've got one on my 1997 Marin Hawk Hill.

Just measured the axle to crown length as 42cm. Rake is hard to measure so can't help there I'm afraid.

It rides really nicely on rough stuff, though there is a good amount of visible flex going on, which can be slightly unnerving!

Thank you for the info.

Have a pair from a '96 IFT,from a 19" frame so the steerer is 220mm.Weigh 0.9 Kg on my luggage scales (only measure to nearest 100g).410mm axle to crown.As mentioned,rake a tricky one to measure accurately but I would say around the 45mm mark,could be 48.Are you cobbling some new combination together?

Ooh...thank you Captain for all those numbers. I have see 47mm and 48mm for rake. Maybe rounding up/down of the imperial. I did find a weight of 905grams for a 220mm steerer so your number could be spot on.

The ongoing bitsa project is an '98 Orange O2 with drop bars, a mix of road/ mtb Sram and Shimano cassette for the 2x10 drivetrain, Look Xtrack pedals, Tune stem, American Classic hubs, Mavic rims, a UN91 bb just fitted, Rolls saddle on a Thomson post and current forks are from an old Rockhopper(stamped 1984) with the faux biplane fork crown.
Having now replaced the placeholder bb, with the UN91, the next thing to replace might be the cranks. They are the SJS XD2 things which are very flexy. The chainline is really good now so it would be opening a can of worms replacing the cranks unless i can find something dimensionally the same, but stiffer. Will also need to be hidden bolt cranks to suit my pile of hidden bolt Sram rings. The more I think of the hassle; i might just leave well alone.

Anyway...the forks I started with just did not suit and after doing some math I went on the hunt as I had dimensions in mind. The Rockhopper forks popped up on ebay for cheaps so I grabbed them, got a 1 1/8th steerer tube welded over the 1 inch steerer and handling greatly improved. The 1inch fork crown race engaged well enough with the chamfer in the larger sealed bearing headset so it worked out. Comfort improved, too, as they are quite springy and i haven't ended up needing a dentist. I am under the impression that they were not loved bitd( maybe the wrong dimensions for the headtube angle?) but they have worked for me. Offroad they are really good.

They are awfully heavy so I do keep my eye out for some forks that are springy, a good deal lighter, and have dimensions that will maintain the current handling, or better it. Thank you for measuring your forks as I now feel I have good numbers to work with. There is a good looking fork on the bay, with the right amount of steerer, so I might have a pop at getting them. Must do the sums first, though.

Anyone else with measurements please chip in.

Back