Mantis Number Produced

ajsaunders

Old School Hero
I am curious how many Mantis frames Mr. Cunningham produced. Here is what I have gathered so far:

X or Valkyrie - Non-elevated (produced 85 or 86-90) = Number produced 10+-
Valkyrie - Elevated (produced 85 or 89-91) = Number produced 40+-
Valkyrie - Elevated Front Suspension (produced 91) = 10+-

Flying V (produced 89-94)
1st generation frames with Mantis stickers, main frame shaped by hand, unfiled welds. 1990-91?
Number Produced _______

2nd generation frames with stamped main frame with "Mantis" embossed into it, filed welds. 1991-94?
Number Produced _______

XCR Non-elevated (produced 83-89) = Number Produced _______
XCR Elevated (produced 89-94) = Number Produced _______

I could be completely off on the number above on the Valkyries, but I am curious how rare these really are.

If you have any input, please let us know.

Cheers,
Andrew

Uno-speedo,
Thank you for sharing. The blackbird website is a wealth of information and it is where I pulled most of the base form from. I didn’t see much info on production numbers of each model and was interested in learning more. Martin at second spin has done an awesome job documenting some of the early Mantis history as well. I am hoping to learn more on his upcoming build.
Thank you,
Andrew

Hi,

I would try and get in touch with Shayne...I think he patrols this site sometimes, but is on the MT Bike R Vintage, Classic, Retro forum... There is a Mantis thread there if you did not know. He knows an awful lot about Mantis. When I shared with him my serial numbers, he could tell me the years of them. I think he has/had a database.

Hope that helps and good luck.

I am curious how many Mantis frames Mr. Cunningham produced. Here is what I have gathered so far:

X or Valkyrie - Non-elevated (produced 85 or 86-90) = Number produced 10+-
Valkyrie - Elevated (produced 85 or 89-91) = Number produced 40+-
Valkyrie - Elevated Front Suspension (produced 91) = 10+-

Flying V (produced 89-94)
1st generation frames with Mantis stickers, main frame shaped by hand, unfiled welds. 1990-91?
Number Produced _______

2nd generation frames with stamped main frame with "Mantis" embossed into it, filed welds. 1991-94?
Number Produced _______

XCR Non-elevated (produced 83-89) = Number Produced _______
XCR Elevated (produced 89-94) = Number Produced _______

I could be completely off on the number above on the Valkyries, but I am curious how rare these really are.

If you have any input, please let us know.

Cheers,
Andrew
As far as I know the Valkyrie suspension was only a prototype featured in MBA on february 1991. The serial Number as many of Mantis prototypes was one of a kind, on the bottom braket Is stamped Mantishock

interesting thread writing from the UK Mantis bikes always had for me the greatest combo of MBA mystic + metal work innovation.

Later into early 1990s MBUK magazine had a great article on Mr Cunnigham & the Pro Floater ( RS mag 21 & Pace RC35 versions)

Yeah I´d be interested in numbers too. I read somewhere that Mantis in the 90s produced about 300 frames/year (forgot the source unfortunately). And in the MBA test of the XCR it was hinted that you had to wait a long time if you ordererd. See also this ad from Oct ´90:

MBAction_Oct1990_Cambria.jpg

Back