Manitous with Die Springs

ishay

Retro Guru
I’ve been rebuilding a set of Manitou Answer M Sports and before going for new elastomers I thought I’d try industrial die springs (rather than wire based springs like Wings).

They were super cheap at £1.63 each (though I’ve bought various sizes and spring levels to experiment). They don’t bounce, so they don’t pogo. The ‘light’ springs seem perfect in a 20mm x 89mm size. I’ve reused all the washers at either end and used an old elastomer for the rebound side. At my weight (70kg) they don’t quite fully travel (maybe 30mm) so I’ve also ordered extra light load to try next,but they’re not coming quickly as they’re coming from China, next month.

I’m sure I’m not the first to try this, but personally want to carry on trying experimenting. They MIGHT break I guess but they are so heavy duty this seems unlikely.

Attachments

• IMG_4624.jpeg
    IMG_4624.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 189
What’s the character difference between a wire spring and a die spring

I’m intrigued to know as I was unaware of anything else in coil springs

Re:

Die springs are basically similar to regular compression springs but withstand higher forces, like a normal spring on steroids!
The main difference they are made from rectangular wire rather than the standard round wire used in regular springs, I've used these types of springs in the manufacturing industry, die sets for pressing steel into various forms, without a doubt they are far superior to regular spring for certain applications.
The rectangular wire makes it possible to make the spring stronger but shorter, for example, die springs are used in a car clutch where space is limited & they are less affected by heat, imagine how many times your clutch goes in & out during its life before it needs changing & that's normally down to the friction plate wear, I've not seen one that needs changing because of spring failure!
There is a calculation to make sure you get the correct size spring, like O/D of the hole, I/D of the hole, uncompressed length & the expected compressed length, something like that anyway!
There also have strength ratings in colours - Light Load – Blue, Medium Load – Red, Heavy Load – Gold, Extra-Heavy Load – Green - We used to use them made from Chrome Alloy for our applications but they are made from different materials & I think the colour coding for strength varies with material type!
Cheers
G

Re:

Proppa education there - makes a lot of sense

Next time I watch gold rush I’m going to look to see if Parker/Ness/Beets have them fitted to their shaker decks and then get all clever.

Probably just look like an arsehole glued to the T.V watching finger on the pause button only to see standard Round coils :facepalm:

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":1sbcc7ea said:

Next time I watch good rush I’m going to look to see if Parker/Ness/Beets have them fitted to their shaker decks and then get all clever.

Probably just look like an arsehole glued to the T.V watching finger on the pause button only to see standard Round coils :facepalm:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":1dwezct2 said:

Next time I watch good rush I’m going to look to see if Parker/Ness/Beets have them fitted to their shaker decks and then get all clever.

We use die springs on injection molds, die press´s etc.
I´ve just built a feed screw from a 70mm diameter normal spring for a plastic extrusion machine.

Shaker Decks use normal round wire springs. Which reminds me, I need to get this laser cut before the gold season finally opens!

Screenshot-10.png

Latest posts

Back