Magura RT8C converter compatible with Magura HS33 rim brakes

ylwgto

Retro Guru
Hi,
I have a weird hydraulic brake question(s).

Is the Magura RT8C cable/hydro converter box (that they developed for road bike calipers) compatible with Magura HS33 or HS11 mountain bike rim brakes? I am thinking of experimenting with this set up on my cyclocross frame.

Question 2: Will the HS33 rim brakes work on cyclocross frame bosses or is the spacing different such that the braces wont fit the seat stay spread?

Very tired of my underperforming cantis (yes I know how to set them up properly, they are still inferior) and fork shudder and refuse to put mini v's on my cross bike.

Thanks.

Firstly the HS should fit fine to a canti boss CX frame - the old HS66/77 drop bar hydraulics used stock HS mounts.

As to your second question, I don't knwo and have been waiting to find somebody brave enough to buy and try. The old Magura hydro road callipers used the same levers as HS66/77 as far as I know, so I suspect they will - I wouldn't know about filling and bleeding the system though.

thanks for the info. so MTB and CX frames have the same seat stay and fork brake boss spread (I don't have a MTB to measure)? If not, the u-brace boosters on the HS33 brakes may not work on CX frames.

I'd love to try it, but that RT8C converter is SUPER expensive, so cannot justify it now (cheaper to just buy a decent disc frame).

I don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as the lines can be mated between the 2. I am surprised they haven't cobbled up an official version of this product, the cross world would eat it up (except those riding tubular carbon wheelsets…).

The fork and seatstay spread is different but usually it seems that you have to chop a bit off the inside of Magura boosters to stop them hitting the wheel on MTBs.

Frankly on narrow CX tyres you probably don't need the booster anyway as you will lock the wheel up happily without it. If all else fails you could buy the EVO 2 mounts from Tartybikes which simplifies things a lot.

Back