Looking for Englund air cartridge experts!

H@l9000

Dirt Disciple
Or anyone who's been inside an Edmunds cartridge fork for that matter.

So I was a bit surprised to find out that the rather toasty vintage ('95 ish) judy XC air on the Old race bike that I'm finally starting to rehab at least nominally holds air! However when moving through it's travel it sticks and squeaks like a hamster that's been caught by the family cat!

Before I tear into the fork I figured I'd ask to see if anyone can give me a rundown of what to expect. It sounds like dry o-rings to me and I'm hopeful that a little bit of slick honey or something analogous will fix the issue. But how robust are these forks and how are they lubricated? Should I give it a chance to recover on its own or just rip into it?

Thanks!

Or anyone who's been inside an Edmunds cartridge fork for that matter.

So I was a bit surprised to find out that the rather toasty vintage ('95 ish) judy XC air on the Old race bike that I'm finally starting to rehab at least nominally holds air! However when moving through it's travel it sticks and squeaks like a hamster that's been caught by the family cat!

Before I tear into the fork I figured I'd ask to see if anyone can give me a rundown of what to expect. It sounds like dry o-rings to me and I'm hopeful that a little bit of slick honey or something analogous will fix the issue. But how robust are these forks and how are they lubricated? Should I give it a chance to recover on its own or just rip into it?

Thanks!

Do you mean Englund?

If so then they are sealed aftermarket cartridges that drop into the forks that replaced the original elastomers.

I’m my limited with Englund cartridges, I couldn’t get them to consistently hold air.

The Englund carts are serviceable. Just o rings iirc. They did have replaceable valves to create different damping too, if you've not got these you are limited to whatever is in there. Might be fine for you though.

Sorry, my bad. Englund is correct. I have a terrible memory for names! Anyway I know there were a few early air forks that used them as OEM (my old Judy among them). I'm just trying to get a bit of knowledge on the internals and how delicate, finicky, or robust they might be before I go tearing the thing apart.

Yeah, that is very useful! Not quite what I was expecting, but did answer all my questions and then some! Thank you.

Where are you located? May be able to lay my hands on some cartridges but would need to see the fork.

I think it's SRP that sells the O-ring kits for them if need be. The ones in my Judy SL are amazing - they hold pressure for months

Latest posts

Back