Looking for a fork for a older bike for my son.

DeoreDX

Dirt Disciple
My son recently moved up from a 24" to a 26" bike. We took all the parts off my dad's old bike and restored a old Klein frame for him to use.

48740751246_0d1d72ce85_c.jpg

I'm hoping to keep him on this bike for at least a year (until he grows big enough to fit into a size S bike) then we can start looking at the newer 27.5's bikes that he really wants. The bike works great but he really could use a wider bar for more leverage and therefor a shorter stem. Since we can't just throw on a new stem because of the Girvin that means he would have to get a "new" fork.

I stopped riding in the late 90's and didn't pick it back up until recently so there is a big gap in my fork knowledge. What fork could I pick up that would fit a 1 1/8" threadless setup that wouldn't throw the geometry and handling too much off on a older frame built around the 63mm forks of the time? Since I'm looking at older models something easy to maintain and reliable would be great. Any thoughts on a good late 90's early to mid 2k ~80mm travel fork that could be had cheap that would work with canti brake bosses that could be tuned with a light weight rider? I just don't know which makes/models to look for. I'll even go for brand new if the price is right and the ride could be tuned for a ~80lb 11 year old kid.

Rockshox Duke's are the often forgotten gems of short travel forks. Should be able to pick a nice pair up for about £30 or so, disc or V, airsprung and 80mm travel.

Sketchyxup":zmevqfae said:
Rockshox Duke's are the often forgotten gems of short travel forks. Should be able to pick a nice pair up for about £30 or so, disc or V, airsprung and 80mm travel.

You guys seem to have much better used prices across the pond.

Re:

An air sprung fork seems the way to go for the best adjustability. BITD I replaced my Kleins 68mm travel Manitous with 80mm travel SIDs. It was an improvement in every way.

Back