Look 595, ex Cofidis, build complete!

Retro Dan

Devout Dirtbag
Hi Guys,
Fresh from the LBS (In Gear in Forest Row) is this 2010 ex Cofidis Look 595. Aquired it from a shop in France as a frameset with its wheels (super cool Cofidis team issue red fat spoke Fulcrim Racing Zero tubs). This bike was ridden at the 2010 Giro and Vuelta by Belgian rider Nico Sijmens - not their finest year but Cofidis had some luck with Sylvan Chavanel. Will be facinating to see if the 595 is a good as its reputation.

Now looks like this:

595-1.JPG

595-2.JPG

595-3.JPG

595-4.JPG

595-5.JPG

595-6.JPG

595-7.JPG

Full Campag Super Record 11 speed mechanical throughout (175 cranks, 53/39 25-12), fresh ceramic bearings throughout, Zipp 130 stem with Look aero bars (mega neat cabling with these bars), selle italia carbon sadle and look keo blade ti pedals, Veloflex 25mm tubulars - all in weighs 6.85 kilos including pedals.

Feels super stiff, got to wait for a warm dry day for its first test ride, Dan.

Nice frameset Dan, and I do like a Campag groupset.
Not sure about the wheels, a bit too red for me. Would prefer a modern black Campag wheelset.
I guess the issue is the " Retro Factor".
The MTB section has defined dates but the Roadie section is less clear.
For me a Retro roadbike is probabaly pre-2000.
The 1990's saw the end of the classic steel frame, with first aluminium and then carbon taking over by the end of the decade.
Dates are all very subjective, and I guess the reason why some people chose to ride a bike that isn't the latest technology, is because in some way it has "Retro Cool"
Even carbon bikes made in the 2000's will be Retro to some.
Anyway.. Ride and Enjoy is my motto.

I don't know, I think I like the red wheels although yes it is quite red so I might have gone for black spokes. One things for certain though it'll certainly stand out in the boringly grey and black modern crowd.

Either way lovely machine but then being a fellow Look owner I am a bit biased.

Re:

The wheels were team issue only to Cofidis in that colour/type - the team did also use Campag Boras as well but I don`t have a team issue set of those...

In the flesh they look very, very cool and not too red.... plus I have a real dislike for black on bikes (groupsets aside).

Regarding the forum and the bike age, While I`d agree that not every carbon bike is a classic, the 595 definatly is as its the last Look luigged framed bike - only Colnago still do it. I guess what is classic is another mans modern, but not all old bikes are classics. There are definatly key bikes from all ages - Pantani`s ally Bianchi Megapro, Greg Lemonds `86 or `89 Look TVT, Armstrongs US Postal Trek - can certainly argue that one of Brad Wiggin`s 2012 Pinarello Dogmas would fit the classic status.... then again, I`m lucky enough to have all of the above in some form or another and they all ride exceptionally well, though I`m also building a 1953 Torpado Gran Sport pro race bike at the moment - perhaps its only that one I should put on here...

Latest posts

Back