Kona Stinky what year is my

Eknoid

Retro Newbie
New here,
Looking to see what the year and model # this Stinky is to get the derailer hanger.
I picked up this kona stinky at a thrift store for $20 and needs some work.
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 20210818_125346.jpg
    20210818_125346.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 37
The bike in the picture is the 2000 model, and is just called the Stinky , which is the model below the Stinky Dee-lux.

The Gear Hanger looks like it will be a Kona Style "H", which can be replaced by Wheels Manufacturing No: 25.

I may have better confirmation on the Hanger, but check out the profile on the inside of the Kona "H" and Wheels Manufacturing No: 25 below and meanwhile, I will delver deeper.
H Style Hanger_2.JPG

WM-25.jpg

Pip.

Last edited:
2000, weird OEM bomber, somewhere between a z2 and a z4, no adjustment and worst of all, no disc mount.
please don't take this the wrong way, but I hate you. :p I have never been able to afford a stinky, it was the bike in the shop I drooled over.

The fork fitted to the 2000 Stinky is the Marzocchi Z5. That particular model and function was chosen to come within a price bracket: Quote from the Catalogue, "Stinky function without the Dee-Lux price. The tubing used on the Stinky is also lower end generic 7000 series, compared to the Easton tubing used on the Dee-Lux.

The forks fitted to the "artist impression" picture in the catalogue does have a Disc mount, so I'm not sure why your bike does not have this feature. The Catalogues are produced in the Autumn of the previous year, so your bike shouldn't for example be an early version.

Pip

The fork fitted to the 2000 Stinky is the Marzocchi Z5. That particular model and function was chosen to come within a price bracket: Quote from the Catalogue, "Stinky function without the Dee-Lux price. The tubing used on the Stinky is also lower end generic 7000 series, compared to the Easton tubing used on the Dee-Lux.

The forks fitted to the "artist impression" picture in the catalogue does have a Disc mount, so I'm not sure why your bike does not have this feature. The Catalogues are produced in the Autumn of the previous year, so your bike shouldn't for example be an early version.

Pip

the Z5 was an air fork, the fork fitted here looks to be sprung (no air cap) with a different bridge (machined alloy, the z5 is cast and painted).
tubing wise, yes it was lower but I wouldn't say it was awful.

I stand corrected. my apologies.

also, how much?
I know, shocking prices. Looks like a batch of new old stock has been found, and as such, they are asking unobtanium type prices for them.

I suppose if you have an old set and are wanting a perfect restoration to hang in a gallery, by the time you've rebuilt them, had them stripped and powdercoated with new decals, it adds up. Especially if you are outsourcing all those jobs.

The bike in the picture is the 2000 model, and is just called the Stinky , which is the model below the Stinky Dee-lux.

The Gear Hanger looks like it will be a Kona Style "H", which can be replaced by Wheels Manufacturing No: 25.

I may have better confirmation on the Hanger, but check out the profile on the inside of the Kona "H" and Wheels Manufacturing No: 25 below and meanwhile, I will delver deeper.
View attachment 563944

View attachment 563943

Pip.

View attachment 563944

View attachment 563943

Pip.
Rt on, thanks for the info. Is it worth $200 to get running/restore?

Back