Kona Handlebar Shim Question

Canuckbiker

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
Hi RB community, I'm looking for opinions. I made a post of my latest build up for my 93' Kona Kilauea a little while back. I am very happy with all my current parts selections except for one part: handlebar.

It's not a bad bar and very light later model Syncros (around 140g) but it just seems out of place, especially after viewing other Kona build threads where a straight 22.2 bar is used with the 25.4 shim, typical of many Race Light Kona bars.
s-l16002.jpg

Above is basically my current bar.

I have an aluminum shim taken from a lower end Race Light bar I can make use of. This Race Light bar was taken off 94' Fire Mountain and weights 210g. Too heavy for my Kilauea (IMO).

I have been searching the Bay (and local CL/FB) for a while now hoping to find the lighter weight version of the Race Light but no such luck so far.

I came across a mint Titec Bontrager titanium (160g) last night and scooped it up (not inexpensive). I see in the 94' and 95' Kona catalogues the top end bikes used titanium bars with the "slim" model name used for alloy and titanium in 94', the 95s use "Bontrager Titanium" bars so I feel the part selection is appropriate for my Kona.

On to my question: Should I just keep the black plastic Titec shim or swap to the silver alloy Race Light shim? Just for the sake of possible better looks.
20220613_042250000_iOS.png
20220613_125950388_iOS.jpg

I know, it'll look good either way but curious what the consensus might be if any whether to push for a more Race Light look or not.

Also, curious: Does anyone have a picture of a 95' Kona with the Bontrager Titanium bar? I'm wondering if it was the Titec model and what shim was used.

Thanks!

Well I ended up making up my mind after finally getting my hands on the bar, let's see what others may think. The bar logos are very well preserved, it's nice to have the Bontrager logo on this version as well. Certainly a step up from the later model Syncros with faded logo, nothing to sneeze at and light weight but the Titec titanium looks much nicer IMO.
20220630_212421585_iOS.jpg
I tried the narrower stock nylon black shim but it almost disappears within the stem clamp width. The Kona bar shim looks the part and I prefer the old school handlebar shim look.
20220630_223755607_iOS.jpg

I think this one may finally be finished!! (until the next upgrade :LOL: )

20220702_215843136_iOS.jpg

You definitely made the right choice with the silver shim, it looks great.

I’d assume they meant the Bontrager Titec bars as, apart from the titanium Crow Bar, I’ve not seen a titanium bar with only the Bontrager logo.

I still have the bars from ‘94 Lava Dome that I got brand new and eve though they haven’t aged well (think non-descript plain silver bar!) they do still have the shim that came with them in the silver, I reckon it looks nice for that year, just my opinion though.

Thanks for the feedback guys, yes I'm happy with the upgrade, kinda finishes it off nicer. Not inexpensive and heavier but looks more proper for the build I think.
I've also put a Titec titanium bar on my sons bike but it has the same logo on each side like below:
s-l1600.jpg

Nicer to have the Bonty logo on the right side of mine I think.

With his we used the plastic shim which works well with his Control Tech stem. I'm pretty sure it's the same 160-170g titanium bar.

I'd be curious to know how durable the 118g Titec titanium bar is/was. That is crazy light.

Hadn't heard of the Crowbar, was is it only available in riser form?

Back