Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
The aluminium one :cool:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
The aluminium one :cool:

Yeah these don't come up very often.

This 2001 model is the 2nd year that Kona produced the Scandium Explosif. BTW, only the Top Tube and Down Tubes were Scandium; the Seat Tube was 31.8mm x 2.35/1.8t round 7005 on both years, and the Stays were 7005.

I had a mint example of the 2000 model, which hadn't even done 500 miles. See below for original build.

The 2003 Kona Kula Primo was the successor to these two as their flagship XC machine, and was not listed in the catalogue, but only available through their Frame Shop - it was also all Scandium tubing, and weighed a staggering 2.9lbs / 1,315gr! I bought a new frame from my LBS in 2003.

There are some who assume that the black Rear Triangle on the 2001 is a different material from the rest of the frame - Mmm, that turned into a bit of a debate o_O :

2001 Explosif 19"

2001 Explosif 19_3.JPG

2001 Explosif 19" Chain Stay
2001 Explosif 19_4.JPG

2001 Explosif 19" Seat Stay
2001 Explosif 19_5.JPG

2000 Explosif 19"

2000 Explosif_DS 040615.JPG

Please do say if you want any other detailed pictures of the 2000 Explosif - or the 2003 Kula Primo

Pip

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yeah these don't come up very often.

This 2001 model is the 2nd year that Kona produced the Scandium Explosif. BTW, only the Top Tube and Down Tubes were Scandium; the Seat Tube was 31.8mm x 2.35/1.8t round 7005 on both years, and the Stays were 7005.

I had a mint example of the 2000 model, which hadn't even done 500 miles. See below for original build.

The 2003 Kona Kula Primo was the successor to these two as their flagship XC machine, and was not listed in the catalogue, but only available through their Frame Shop - it was also all Scandium tubing, and weighed a staggering 2.9lbs / 1,315gr! I bought a new frame from my LBS in 2003.

There are some who assume that the black Rear Triangle on the 2001 is a different material from the rest of the frame - Mmm, that turned into a bit of a debate o_O :

2001 Explosif 19"

View attachment 591623

2001 Explosif 19" Chain Stay
View attachment 591624

2001 Explosif 19" Seat Stay
View attachment 591625

2000 Explosif 19"

View attachment 591626

Please do say if you want any other detailed pictures of the 2000 Explosif - or the 2003 Kula Primo

Pip

As much as i like their steel frames i always wanted to try the Explosif in aluminium, and the fact it was only built for a short period too interested me. Also one of their best paint schemes, the contrasting rear triangle.

And not really looked at the 03 Kula Primo, though am interested to know more and see some pics of it now.

It is an intriguing frame, and I'll be pleased to pop something down here for those who are interested.

It was in a prime transition manufacturing period, with both Disc Mounts (introduced in 2000) but still retaining V-Brake Bosses, for the ultra conscious weight weenie.

More importantly for me than that though, was retaining the traditional Cross Country Racing style of the late 1990's that is geometrically correct for 80mm travel suspension - 450mm Crown to Axle giving a Head Tube angle of 71 deg. By 2003, many manufacturers were moving away from this set-up, and producing frames suited to the newer longer 100mm travel forks (470mm C-A) and moving to longer than that. Many riders may not notice this subtle difference, but for me, the nippier old school geometry gave me a vast advantage on the trail.

There is also some claim that Scandium has properties that resemble the ping of a Steel frame, and there is quite a bit out there on the subject. What I will say however, is that Kona went to a lot of effort to shape this frame with Hourglass Stays, and extensive Tube Butting.

Here are a handful of pictures to be going on with that you can peruse, and there are many more if you need any other specific detail:

Butting:
2003 Kula Primo.jpg

Scandium Tubing:

KulaScandium.jpg

Hourglass Stays:

Kula_Primo_201203R.jpg

Early build:

2001 Kula Primo 200911DS.JPG

2003 Kula Primo 080111NDSF.jpg

Later build:

Kula Primo 230612ds.JPG

Kula Primo 230612dsf.JPG